All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Adam McLaughlin
SM: No

5.8 L Intake

Post by Adam McLaughlin »

Hey Guys,

To those of us whom have done the truck 5.8 L swap:

What is the lowest upper intake that anyone has seen? I need something that gets as close to the passenger side valve cover as possible. The stock truck 5.8 L upper intake is REALLY tall and made me run a 3" body lift on my ranger that I would like to get rid of now.

Can someone who has done this measure the height of the intake above the intake manifold and then tell me what the height above the intake deck is? I need to see if this is even worth my time - I might not gain enough room to close the hood without the body lift. If this is the case, then I might have to resort to notching the hood for clearance. That is tough to do with class.

Adam
1992 Ranger with a 1995 357 L Engine - 9.4:1 Compression & AFR 185 CC Heads- A9L and Moates Chip - AOD and 3.73 Detroit Locker *smog legal* in California
1989 Mustang w/ H/C/I V-2 SQ and A9S w/ TwEECer
Foxracin

Post by Foxracin »

Get a cowl hood. I tihnk they look pretty good.
1988 5.0 Ranger
cjcnomor4

Post by cjcnomor4 »

trick flow makes a few. they look just like the 5.0 intakes. you'll have to change fuel rails too.
95 2wd shortbed styleside with a 98 mountaineer 5.0
ported GT-40P heads, E-303 cam, Trick Flow Street Heat intake, 1.7 rollers, 24lb injs,155lph in-tank pump, built AOD, 2800 converter, Torque Monster headers, dropped 3/4 on 98 Cobra wheels. Eternal work in progress.
94 Ranger XLT b. 6/10/94 d.3/28/11 300,842 miles RIP
06 Fusion SEL
11 F150 FX2 SCrew 5.0 Coyote, Custom SCT X3 tune, Roush CAI
broncobowsher

Post by broncobowsher »

http://www.bcbroncos.com/efi-adapt.pdf has an adaptor that will put a car upper on a truck lower.It is reported to be nearly as short as a stock 5.0 car intake (the truck lower is shorter then the car lower). So a stock short car upper, adaptor, short truck lower make for a fairly short 5.8 EFI intake.
Adam McLaughlin

Post by Adam McLaughlin »

Ooh! THank you Bronco Browsher. This is just what the Doctor Ordered.

Let me cruise on over there and see what they are getting for such an animal - I think I might be able to use that really nicely. I still might need to get another hood and cut a hole in it, but I wouldn't mind that if I got an Ecco hood or something similar and didn't have to modify my original hood any. I never did like the way that Cowl hoods look like, and I think if a hood hole is done right it won't look that bad. I have been experimenting with this during the week. I think that this could be done best with a metal frame around the cut out, welded to the existing hood support material then smoother in a painted to match.

Just worried about moisture getting on top of the engine, but I can check that stuff out.

Adam
1992 Ranger with a 1995 357 L Engine - 9.4:1 Compression & AFR 185 CC Heads- A9L and Moates Chip - AOD and 3.73 Detroit Locker *smog legal* in California
1989 Mustang w/ H/C/I V-2 SQ and A9S w/ TwEECer