Anti-theft

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

pdmustgt2

Anti-theft

Post by pdmustgt2 »

My dad is wanting me to put in 1998 explorer computer and all in a 1989 ranger. Problem is how do I get around the anti-theft? Is there a programmer I can get to shut it off? I really don't want to wire in the anti-theft module and anti-theft transceiver and tie a key to it.

He likes my 1999 4x4 ranger with 2001 mountaineer V8 in it. It wasn't no problem to change the key switch and anti-theft module. It's not I can't make it work just trying to save me time in wiring in more things.

Another option maybe a 1996 or 1997 PCM but I don't know about the connector or pins on what the same. Just looking at options
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Post by cgrey8 »

There is some support in the TwEECer to disable this stuff in the Explorer EECs. But the support is limited. The default software for the TwEECer sucks. Because the support is in the TwEECer software, it's proprietary and thus there's no support for cheaper tuning alternatives like Moates tuning chips. However there is a resident BIN hacker over at EECTuning.org that is considering developing a complete definition for some of the Explorer EECs that would allow for more control of the Explorer EECs and would allow you to use Moates chips or the TwEECer. He just hasn't had a reason to do so. However if you are interested in him developing your EEC's definition file, let him know (a small fee would apply). Decoding Ford BIN/tunes is not an easy thing to do. It requires a considerable amount of skill and knowledge of the Ford EECs to do. Believe me, the small fee you'd pay would not come close to the hours he would need to put into getting such a def developed and the hours he's already spent getting the knowledge and experience to do it.

But before you ask for that, you'll want to find out if you want to make the investment. If you plan to keep the engine stock, then all you really need is that def and a Moates chip which will allow you to change things in the tune....but do it blindly. This is really all you need if all you are trying to do is disable to EGR, PATS, Secondary HEGOs, or maybe the transmission control.

However if you are planning on making mods like changing the cam, installing a larger MAF, or any other major power adders, then you'll need more than just access to the EEC's settings. You'll need datalogging ability so you can see what the computer is doing with that info in real-time. That can be accomplished in 2 ways:
  • TwEECer RT
  • OBD-II datalogging device
With this definition developed, you would be able to use the TwEECer RT using a software called BinaryEditor (aka BE). The BE developer (a different developer from the BIN hacker) is working on getting OBD-II datalogging support into BE. Once that is available, then either will be an option and in fact, I believe the OBD-II datalogging is actually a superior method of tuning and datalogging with the exception that you don't get 4 custom tunes that can be switched on the fly. But to be honest, I don't use that option of my TwEECer often.

Here's a thread I wrote up over on EECTuning.org that will detail out all the things you need to know before buying a TwEECer.
Things to know BEFORE buying a TwEECer

Most of this info also would apply to the OBD-II device, but since that option isn't yet available, I haven't added it to this article.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

I'd use the '97' PCM, 99% same 104 pin count and 99% sure same functions. Think some have used the '98' harness with the '97' computer. I've got the wiring diagrams for both if needed.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

The 97¼ Explorer EECs are becoming hard to come by because they are so preferred...truly the sweet-spot EEC to have for Explorer motors and the one I've recommended be developed 1st. Here's a list of known 97 (both early 97 and later 97¼) Explorer EECs:
  • CTBAE strategy: SLL3, SLL4 (96-97)
  • CTBAF strategy: HMP0, JFX0 (96-97)
  • CQAB1 strategy: XDT0, XDT1, XDT2 (97¼)
  • CQAB2 strategy: INJ0, XDT3 (97¼)
The strategy names are not really important for this discussion, but I include them for technical completeness. My suspicion is there are 2 strats for each generation of 5.0L Explorer relating to 2wd & 4wd/AWD versions of 5.0L Explorers.

I can get lists of the other years if needed, but I don't think they are as useful. The 96 and early 97 EECs were designed to run the 96-97 motors which had GT40 heads and sonic EGR. Thus they won't work with the newer motors with the GT40p heads and newer style DPFE EGR without tweaking the tune. Then 98-up have PATS systems. However 98 Explorer motors are the closest similarity to the 97¼ motors which makes the 98 motors the easiest to retrofit with a 97¼ Explorer 5.0L EEC. In 99, the Explorer motors got 17lb injectors so the stock 97¼ tune is no good for these motors without changing the injectors out. Also these year Explorers use a return-less fuel system. I don't think this had any effect on the EEC, but could. There are a few other minor differences but there's enough in these EECs that makes them less desirable without the ability to tweak them. Ultimately with the ability to tweak the EEC, any of the Explorer EECs could satisfy the need.

But putting any of these EECs into a pre-96 Ranger without tweaking the EEC's tune to remove the emissions crap like the gas-tank pressure sensor or the secondary HEGOs is necessary unless you plan to outfit your Ranger with those things...which is possible, but not nearly as easy as retuning the EEC to simply disable the stuff you don't want/need.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
pdmustgt2

Post by pdmustgt2 »

The engine won't be modifed will be lefted stock. Dad seems to think you can wire around the anti-theft told him you can't because it's done through the data link. He just loaded the body on the trailer and loaded it with junk :x . He's not pulling the anti-theft out of it. Just came from the local wrench and pull the two 97 V8 explorers they had are crushed now. I know where some more V8 explorers and mountaineers are at but my brother will have to look for me later this week.

He's tying hands on either shutting the anti-theft off or finding a 97 computer now.

The only reason why we are EFI engine in is for better fuel mileage. That dad has gotten cheap on putting tune up in like his 78 F250 460 4V gas sucking engine. A EFI engine will take care of itself more.
pdmustgt2

Post by pdmustgt2 »

I know about the 99-up returnless fuel system. Still haven't changed the pressure regulator in the tank on my 99 yet still has the 4.0 regulator in spec was 5 psi different but the spec where it could run at was in the same range. Runs great went to Ohama,Neb back to Des moines ,Iowa got 18 miles per gal back was running at 80 to 85 mph :lol: Not bad for a 4x4
pdmustgt2

Post by pdmustgt2 »

What does the anti-theft/PCM keep from running. Not giving the ground to the fuel pump relay or injectors. Should say what doesn't keep from turning?
stranger

Post by stranger »

itself.it will not function with out pats module handshake.
just swap over stang ecciv stuff and go.with no hassels
2000 trailhead,400 hp 5.0.still want more,blown,motor,410 going together now.
pdmustgt2

Post by pdmustgt2 »

Ok goofy question if I got a TwEECer does it stay with the vehicle? Or does hook up and program and disconnect drive vehicle.

I do re-cal or flash cat engines, cummins engines, trans, abs ecms at work. With them we program disconnect your done this works the same way? I have so many other vehicles I could play with.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

It stays with the vehicle. But if you use BinaryEditor, you can take the tune you are perfecting with the TwEECer and burn it to a Moates Chip (lots cheaper). Then from there, you can take the TwEECer to another vehicle or sell it.

Then nice thing about the TwEECer is they maintain their resale value quite well. It's rare to find a TwEECer RT sold on eBay for less than $450 used.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org