Upgrading away from C&L to the newer Ford Slot Style MAF

Discussion of all other Fords, Mustangs, F150s etc.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Upgrading away from C&L to the newer Ford Slot Style MAF

Post by cgrey8 »

For anybody interested, here's my experience upgrading away from the old generation C&L 73mm MAF I've run for years to the modern era of MAF technology using Ford's Slot style MAF sensor stuck in a piece of PVC pipe.
Custom intake track for slot style MAF sensor

Note, this isn't possible without the ability to edit the tune in the EEC. But it shows what's possible.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Re: Upgrading away from C&L to the newer Ford Slot Style MAF

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I did something similar on the Cobra. I first changed out to the SCT BA5000 slot sensor but found the resolution at lower RPMs wasn't very nice and it'd idle at inconsistent A/F ratios. I then switched to a stock 07-10 GT500 sensor and idle and low end drivability is way better. I haven't had a chance to tune up top yet and see if I will run out of MAF and need to use a mafia or not.

92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8