Porting the Explorer intake

Discussion of all other Fords, Mustangs, F150s etc.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Dave
Supporting Member
SM: No

Porting the Explorer intake

Post by Dave »

I know that Tom Moss used to be the expert and had a good web site, been down for a long time. Finally got one off a spare motor and wondering how hard to do, what all involved. Don't think he did much to them but made them better.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: Porting the Explorer intake

Post by cgrey8 »

All his documents are over on the EECTuning.org forum, in the Tech Docs section. I gave him moderator access to post stuff over there in an effort to get his documents back available to the public since the guy that was giving him free website access shutdown his business back a few years.

He's got dyno comparisons of a ported GT40 lower and untouched upper (can't recall if it is Explorer, Cobra, or GT40) in one of them. In every run, the stock ported lower beat every aftermarket intake with "area under the curve" up to about 5500RPMs. Beyond that, and the stock intake started to fall off while the aftermarket intakes continued to pull. So for an idle-6000 build that's intended to be a daily driver or occasional track duty, the stock ported intake is superior. The stock intake is also probably better for mildly boosted applications as well. While the aftermarkets do pull better in the 5500-6000 range, that small 500RPM range just isn't enough to make up for how much better the stock ported intake is particularly if you have shift points dropping RPMs down to ~4000@WOT. The area under the curve with the stock ported intake is still better int he 4000-6000 range. However for builds intended for 6000+RPM duty where performance is the #1 target, the stock intake just isn't going to be what you want because it does start to dive fast after 5500.

I ported my intake based on his instructions. He mentions needing to weld up the knees of the #1 and #5 runners. And I'm here to tell you, he wasn't exaggerating. I had mine welded up and busted through just above the weld and had to have it welded up again. So if you plan to port it, make sure to get it welded on or you just won't be able to do the #1 or #5 justice. He also talks heavily about not straightening those runners. Keep them smooth and curving into the head. You do not want to produce a V where the runner comes up to the head and that's easy to do on the number 5 where the air flows forward in the intake down to the head, but actually flows backwards into the head due to the angle of the intake port.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org