timing?

Discussion of all other Fords, Mustangs, F150s etc.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

jzwartster
SM: No

timing?

Post by jzwartster »

Can anyone tell me if its normal and why my truck runs best at 32.5 (BTDC)? I was told by the company who built my short block that they're running these engine at 14 BTDC. The books sy run it at 7 and I have a ford mechanic buddy who said this truck will rip and tare at 5. Anything less than where I have it she will fall flat on her face when I get into it. However at 14 it starts real nice and at 32.5 I have a lil trouble startin it and gettin it goin often stalls out a time or two intill its around 190 degrees. Any sugestion and reason would be appreciated.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Re: timing?

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Is this a fixed timing? not controlled by the ECC or if you're carb'd not controlled by your distributor? If so that sounds about right. My buddy's old 496 was at a fixed timing of 30 some degrees too.

Now if your timing is adjustable and you're putting that much base timing in... then wow something's wrong.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
jzwartster

Post by jzwartster »

no I have a carb with vacum advanced and a mallory distributer so yes its adjustable, whats you thoughts? and thanks for resetin my password.
jzwartster

Post by jzwartster »

the build was abit confusing too. the firing order on this motor is that of a 351 HO 96 and up. Its a 93 5.0 HO roller motor. Im waiting for a response in fear I might break something. this is my daily driver and nearing 10k miles. Seems to run great, but stating is hard but I suppose that comes with the carb. i cannot use the choke, when its hooked up I get a hesitation or a bit of a miss while cruisin at steady speeds. thanks
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

From what I understand, the 351w firing order has always been what it is. However the 302 did change firing order to the 351w firing order for the HO roller engines. 302 standard cam and 302 roller that were not HO engines, were the 302 firing order.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
jzwartster

Post by jzwartster »

fortunately we found that out when we were tryin to first run the motor. We crossed referenced all firing orders to figure it out. I have a logonty radical cam with '68 headz big plug.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

1st time I tried starting my engine I found I had the wires landed on the distributor in reverse-rotation order. I didn't know which way the rotor spun, so I guessed. I had a 50/50 chance of getting it right...I didn't.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

That much base timing does seem insane. It would also explain the hard starts. Once the distributor advances timing how much do you see? I'm amazed the motor is not pinging like crazy with that much timing.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
Chris

Post by Chris »

Have you checked to be sure your distributor is advancing timing correctly? If for some reason its not advancing timing, that would explain the need for high initial advance as well as why it has no power with timing backed down.

If nothing else, just wire a normally closed momentary contact switch in line with the ignition coil power circuit. When you crank your truck, hold down the switch until the engine gets to good cranking speed then let the switch go. It'll ease the strain on your starter and allow the engine to achieve cranking speed before the combustion tries to stop it. That's what we use to do on all our race cars.
1990 Ranger 302- E303 cam, Comp Gold RR, GT40 Intake, MSD 6AL, Hooker SuperComp long tubes; 4R70W- shift kit, other internal mods; 8.8" 3.73 Posi-Trac, 31 spline axles.

Early production 1965 Coupe- June 16, 1964, Guardsman Blue, D code 289 4V, T-10 4 Speed-- All original.

1965 Coupe, A code 289, T10 4 Speed, Originally Rangoon Red...Will be again someday-- currently undergoing restoration.
jzwartster

Post by jzwartster »

When i said it was hard to start. This was in the morning at a cold start. I disconnected the electric choke and warmed her up good as I always do anyhow. Turns out when using the electronic chip in your distributer verses the points the timing will run between 32-35. If you unplug it it will be between 10-15. I do have some pinging so does need miner adjusting. Truck has lots of power and torch. Jumps forward and reverse when putting it into gear. My 3 year old son loves it As I as well. Reachin 11k mile in the first year. Pulled my beauty rings off now rollen Black on Black with the Black truck!