How to ID a roller motor?

Discussion of all other Fords, Mustangs, F150s etc.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

carvinmark
SM: No

How to ID a roller motor?

Post by carvinmark »

What is the best way to ID if they are a roller or not without tearing them open? I'm searching for another 5.0 to put in a 91 Stang. Also, do all the roller motors have forged pistons? Thanks.
88 Ranger short bed, 5.0 HO, T5, 9", My driver, Thanks guys for your help
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
60 Galaxie Starliner, chopped rat rod cruiser
Berrian 100" rail, Corvair 140+ 6 cylinder
00 Explorer, 4.0, AWD, daily driver
Dave
Supporting Member

Re: How to ID a roller motor?

Post by Dave »

Hey Mark,
How you doing? From this info looks like from '87-92' the Mustangs used forged pistons. How to tell if it's a roller or not - hum. Even the later trucks were roller camed but not good for power. Earlier trucks had roller blocks but not the cam. Would think any Mustang from those years above would be good except there getting old and probably been beat on., need rebuilding and then you've got a lot of options. Not sure of your buget or intended use but could just get a new short block and be sure.
Dave

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5 ... ation.html
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
carvinmark

Post by carvinmark »

Thanks Dave, doing good, how are you? I'm putting together a car for my lady as a weekend toy for her. I found a long block that probably needs a rebuild so I may go that way. I have a friend that has a fresh 1970 302+.030 . It has a mild hydrolic cam so she may end up with that one. How much is involved in switching that over to the later oe roller stuff cause I can pick that up cheap. I've been looking for a decent motor for a couple weeks and it is kind of hard to find, and IDing one is a bit of a mystery so I figured you'all might have some tips.
By the way, that cam I got from you sounds and performs great, real happy with it. Now we have snow so I have been holding off driving it but the snow tires will be on it soon.
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Not sure you can use much of the later roller stuff in a flat tappet block other than the lifters and the spider assembly. The lifters are taller so the cam needs a small base circle cam. That also means you have to use the longer push rods for the flat tappet. If all you are looking for is a week-end DD, nothing wrong with staying with the flat tappet. With a mild cam, not much HP to gain. Some complain that the flat's wear out quicker but bet those are the running big cams with high spring rates. Like with any motor, good maintenance is the key, Oil with the zinc in it for the first 5000 miles.
If you want/need to upgrade that cam, I've had this for sale down below for years.
Crane cam (non-roller), model HT-284-2-NC with lifters. Lift .459 intake/.478 exhaust. Again, never used, still in box. Lifters included, still in box. Said to have smooth idle, good low rpm hp.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
carvinmark

Post by carvinmark »

I just might have to nickname you "my cam guy" :lol: . We'll see what I end up with, it's not a rush, just want it running for next summer.