331 Mustang acting up

Discussion of all other Fords, Mustangs, F150s etc.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

carvinmark
SM: No

331 Mustang acting up

Post by carvinmark »

I just picked up this car a couple days ago. I made a trade for the car and he wanted to keep the pro comp ignition system, coil and billet dist. I drove the car on to a trailer and it ran GREAT, it started cold at 30 degreese and idled for about 10 minutes. I was very impressed. Started pulling everything but the dist was froze up and the guy got pissed and said"Merry fn Christmas" as he handed me all the stuff and said he was done fooling with it. With a big grin from my early present, I quickly straped the car down and left. About 20 miles down the road I pulled over and reconnected everything except the plug wires. Yesterday I routed the plug wires and could barely get it to run without backfireing thru both exhaust and intake. I tried both HO and non HO order, seems best with the non HO order but not quite right and it is very touchy getting it close enough to start. The ignition is working real good, lots of spark. I am going to try another coil wire later today because I suspect that is causing some random fire power to the wrong cylinders.
I was told by the guy I got it from that it has the X303 cam, now wouldn't that have the HO order? It will barely run that way so I don't really know what is inside and the guy seems a little evasive when I ask and didn't seem to have alot of mechanical ability so I will have to figure it out myself.
A little info about the motor,
331 don't know if cast or forged or what parts were used in the rotating assy
X303 not sure
stock 1.6 rockers, he said he had coil bind with 1.7 rollers
351windsor heads match ported(they are the big plugs)
Older Torquer 4 bbl manifold
Holley carb, think a 650 single pump
Pro comp system and the box is not MSD but sure fires strong
Gear to gear timing
Hooker large tube shortie headers with full exhaust, flowmasters
I have some pics of the motor being assembled after the long block was in the car so I saw the port work and gear drive, plus you can hear the gears
88 Ranger short bed, 5.0 HO, T5, 9", My driver, Thanks guys for your help
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
60 Galaxie Starliner, chopped rat rod cruiser
Berrian 100" rail, Corvair 140+ 6 cylinder
00 Explorer, 4.0, AWD, daily driver
carvinmark

Re: 331 Mustang acting up

Post by carvinmark »

Well, I just pulled the motor and trans out of the Mustang. I'm going to put it in my Falcon after I go thru the engine for a rebuild so I will know exactly what I have. Hope to start in on the Falcon soon. Hope I can get it on the road in the spring.
Attachments
5-28-07 F-250 & Falcon 001 small.JPG
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

I know this is an old post, but did you ever fix it?? I know some cams you have to run a 351 firing order wich is differant than a 302 order....
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
carvinmark

Post by carvinmark »

I never got it straightened out so I pulled the engine from the Stang and have not got enough cash to go thru it to see what's there yet and I hate leaving motors torn down for too long. I would be mocking it up in the Falcon but the rear end was in bad shape after sitting dry for about 15 years. I forgot to fill it way back then and am paying the price now.
carvinmark

Post by carvinmark »

Also, I belive the 351 firing order is the same as the 302 HO. I did try both befor pulling it .