Stock block and too much power...

Discussion of all other Fords, Mustangs, F150s etc.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Stock block and too much power...

Post by cgrey8 »

...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
carvinmark

Re: Stock block and too much power...

Post by carvinmark »

Oh my, That's by far the worst SBF I've ever seen. What's the story behind the explosion?
88 Ranger short bed, 5.0 HO, T5, 9", My driver, Thanks guys for your help
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
60 Galaxie Starliner, chopped rat rod cruiser
Berrian 100" rail, Corvair 140+ 6 cylinder
00 Explorer, 4.0, AWD, daily driver
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

WOW!!!! Ya, what made it do that???
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Don't know, but I'm fairly sure there was either boost or NOS involved.

These were pics posted by someone else on the EECTuning.org forum. He found them somewhere on the NET and thought he'd share. They are from someone's photobucket site. So you might get more info going to their photobucket album and looking around. You might find the vehicle it was pulled from and see what was on it.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

glad to see im not the only one that has ever split a factory 5.0 block like that ....

i split mine EXACTLY like that when i built my 347... then i said to hell with it and bought the SVO 4 bolt main block .... i was told that either one of two things caused it.....
1. over 500 hp and the stock block cant hold more than that because of it not being beefy enuff to hold the HP levels due to it being a 2 bolt block ....
2. main cap walk or chatter due to the caps not being but a 2 bolt configuration or the timing not being right and have MASSIVE amounts of detonation and that will cause the main caps to walk and put MASSIVE amounts of pressure into the block which will cause it to split

they prob could have avoided that with a main stud girdle or like i was told to do and didnt do ...... pin the main caps witch consists of drilling a small hole in the surface of the mating surfaces of the caps and the block and putting in a HARDENED roll pin to stop the main caps from walking under high PRM's or under detonation ... i didnt listen and it cost me exactly like that .. luckily i could reuse everything in mine... except the cam and rod and main bearings ... and the gaskets of course
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

According to some, the biggest stress on the engine is not the torque produced, but rather the RPMs. Keep the RPMs under 6000 with a strong enough crank, and the block should handle up to around 700HP. Beyond that, you start hitting the limits. Most people adjust boost to target not to exceed 650hp, even if the combo would do more. Anything above 700hp, you need to either be in an aftermarket block or in a 351w block. That's all repeated info, not info I know from 1st hand knowledge.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
carvinmark

Post by carvinmark »

I have had several built earlier 302's that would crack the center main cap in two pieces. They would be running fine with great oil pressure and I tore them down just to make sure everything was good and I was shocked to see what I saw, but nothing like that!
88 Ranger short bed, 5.0 HO, T5, 9", My driver, Thanks guys for your help
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
60 Galaxie Starliner, chopped rat rod cruiser
Berrian 100" rail, Corvair 140+ 6 cylinder
00 Explorer, 4.0, AWD, daily driver
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

After looking at those pics again. That motor doesn't look like it was together for very long. Look at the cylinder walls. They look freshly honed. Then it looks like there is some notching for a stroker kit. After you say that cgrey8, I think your right. To much boots or NOS. I would lean more at the to much NOS.... I think some people build a low budget engine, cut corners and then throw a large amount of NOS at it and think they have a race car...... Look at all the smurff chit they used on the oil pan gasket....
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

keep it under 6000 rpm ????? hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm...................... mine split at around 4800 RPM ... glad i had all forged eagle stuff (crank and "I" beam rods) ..... oh and i was only in like 3rd gear too.... in town so there was no way i was anywhere around the redline or speed that it would have taken to split it ... but also it was a blown 306 before i built it into a 347 so that might have had a negative effect on it too .... when i built it it didnt have a blower .. was naturally aspirated with a 1050 Dominator on it after i split it i went and got all the RIGHT stuff to put it together .... if ya want to see what i had in it.... go here.... and MOST of this list will be going into my Ranger .. SOON now!!!!

http://www.mustanggt.org/photo/90dorris.htm
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I've heard from some locals at the track 500 hp is the magic mark to stop on stock blocks. Go over that and you end up with pics like posted above.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Malcolm ..... i agree.... lol... i did it

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
faststang90

Post by faststang90 »

mine made 508 at 6500 on motor. he said that was pushing the block at that power
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I could believe that if it was supercharged. I should've specified those HP numbers I was quoting was from turbo, not super. Super requires ~25% of the engine's power to do what it does. So 500hp with a supercharger is actually producing closer to 625hp. And if detonation was in the mix, that'll drop the breaking point for sure.

But yeah the more I hear from people, 700hp is barely attainable on stock 351w blocks and 500-550 is the breaking point on most 302 stock blocks that are supercharged.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
faststang90

Post by faststang90 »

before I did mine the motor shop checked to make sure it was a good block, no cracks. I know some people say that main cap supports just hold the block together after they break. I think it stops parts from moving. I also think if you have a weak crank not 4340 weak rods things move which would cause it to break. if it keeps running mid to low 11s ill be happy.