HP ratings for 5.0 HO

Discussion of all other Fords, Mustangs, F150s etc.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

carvinmark
SM: No

HP ratings for 5.0 HO

Post by carvinmark »

Last night I got a 80K mile untouched 1988 5.0HO and I will be switching it over to a carb. on a Edelbrock Performer dual plane manifold and shoving it in my Ranger with a T5 and a set of long tube headers. Might want to re cam it too, any suggestions on cams? Just wondering what HP did it have in OE form and what would be a reasonable expectation of HP after the swap? Also, what heads should be on this motor. Thanks for any help.
88 Ranger short bed, 5.0 HO, T5, 9", My driver, Thanks guys for your help
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
60 Galaxie Starliner, chopped rat rod cruiser
Berrian 100" rail, Corvair 140+ 6 cylinder
00 Explorer, 4.0, AWD, daily driver
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: HP ratings for 5.0 HO

Post by cgrey8 »

This all depends on your intentions for the truck. Is this going to be driven as a truck or will it be a daily driven vehicle where fuel economy is desired? If not, then we can assume this is an all-out fun truck and fuel economy, driveability, and idle quality take back seat to performance.

It also depends on how deep your pockets are too as to how much you can do with this thing. With stock heads, the cam selection is pretty wide open as long as you are looking to replace the valve springs, retainers, and rockers. If you are keeping stock valvetrain components, your cam selection just got narrowed. With aftermarket heads, you find you don't need to go nearly as radical on the cam to get power as you do with stock heads. So the cam you'd choose with stock heads and the cam you'd choose with aftermarket heads would likely be different for the same HP targets.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
carvinmark

Post by carvinmark »

cgrey8 wrote:This all depends on your intentions for the truck. Is this going to be driven as a truck or will it be a daily driven vehicle where fuel economy is desired? If not, then we can assume this is an all-out fun truck and fuel economy, driveability, and idle quality take back seat to performance.

It also depends on how deep your pockets are too as to how much you can do with this thing. With stock heads, the cam selection is pretty wide open as long as you are looking to replace the valve springs, retainers, and rockers. If you are keeping stock valvetrain components, your cam selection just got narrowed. With aftermarket heads, you find you don't need to go nearly as radical on the cam to get power as you do with stock heads. So the cam you'd choose with stock heads and the cam you'd choose with aftermarket heads would likely be different for the same HP targets.
It is just for fun and I'm trying to go inexpensive with this motor, like using the stock heads and springs for now, just want a little more power for now. I have a set of aluminum roller rockers I think are 1.7's. Not sure if they will work on these (to me) later modle heads.
88 Ranger short bed, 5.0 HO, T5, 9", My driver, Thanks guys for your help
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
60 Galaxie Starliner, chopped rat rod cruiser
Berrian 100" rail, Corvair 140+ 6 cylinder
00 Explorer, 4.0, AWD, daily driver
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

If you are looking to do all this using stock components, then go cheap...buy an FMS E303 cam and enjoy. That might be enough to do everything you want.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Well, if you are looking for an E-303 cam, I have a brand new one that came out of a Ford crate motor - cheap. Lots of swappers have used the Tri-Y headers with good luck and no problem with fitment.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

BTW, I do want to say that I'm not a fan of the E303. There are far better cams out there to choose from IF you have aftermarket valve train hardware such as RRs, stronger springs, and lighter retainers. However you can't beat it if you are trying to reuse all stock components for its ability to drop-in and be a performance upgrade.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Lots of people with Mustangs use them for the price but a lot go with a better aftermarket cam to suit their needs better. As far as the HP ratings of the HO engines go, dug this up from my favorite Mustang site. Gives a good break down of how each one differed. A couple of the years were exactly the same but Ford gave them different HP ratings. They are just numbers and can vary depending at what RPM they are using.
DAve
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5 ... ation.html
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting