piston rings

Discussion of all other Fords, Mustangs, F150s etc.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

painterdude923

piston rings

Post by painterdude923 »

installing rings on the pistons. looking for a refresher course cause its been years since i've completely rebuilt an engine. is there a certain way the oil rings gaps need to be? and how about staggering the compression rings?
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: Piston Rings

Post by cgrey8 »

I'm interested to hear about this too...
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Re: piston rings

Post by Dave »

The compression rings go about 1 1/4" from center line and the same for the oil rings. would sure reccomend the book "How to rebuild your SBF". I've got one in the computer/reading room and one somewhere out in the garage. Hope you can read it, maybe I should have scanned in as a PDF. The hard to read text also says there is a small "pip" mark indicating the top of the rings.
Dave

'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I staggered my compression rings 180 degrees from each other. I'm sure they spin around in use and that might be a waste of time but I'm not sure. It just makes me feel better doing it that way. If you look at a 2 stroke engine it has little dowels that stick out that prevent the rings from spinning around so the gap doesn't ever line up with a transfer port or it'll catch the end of the rings and snap them. Ask me how I know :) So I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume the rings in a 4 stroke will do the exact same thing and spin around.

As for oil rings and compression ring gaps etc. I usually call the manufacture in performance applications and get their specific recommendations for the application.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

always stagger all the rings. It makes a differance if you dont. Years ago, 15 or more, Ford had a problem with some of there 5.0's using oil. They never did a recall. But if someone came in complaining of using allot of oil, they would take it apart. And in all the one I did with the people complaining about it, the rings where NOT staggard. They would get a free re-ring..... So, always stagger them......
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end