high flow cats

Discussion of all other Fords, Mustangs, F150s etc.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

6jeff6

high flow cats

Post by 6jeff6 »

Does anyone make hiflow cats for a 2007 ranger??

jeff
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: high flow cats

Post by cgrey8 »

I don't know that there's anything particularly special about high flow CATs. As long as they are Three-Way Catalysts (TWC) that are OBD-II Certified, whatever will fit your pipes should be all you need. I would recommend calling around the various Muffler shops and ask them what their availability is and how much for the CAT(s) you are looking for.

Is there something wrong with your existing CATs or are you just looking to replace them assuming a high flow CAT is going to get you more output?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
6jeff6

Post by 6jeff6 »

Guy is looking for better sound and from what I've listened to hi-flow cats made a huge difference.
I was thinking of shorty headers, hi-flow cats and a dual exhaust.
I believe he said $750 was his limit.

Open for suggestions...

Jeff
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

What motor we talking about? Most of todays cats flow pretty good, just get some different mufflers would be a cheap way out. Even todays manifolds flow pretty good.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
6jeff6

Post by 6jeff6 »

cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I would think that regardless of high-flow CATs or not, just installing dual exhaust and throatier mufflers will be enough to get a decent tone. But keep in mind if this is a stock V6, it's still going to sound like a V6. Although I do have to admit, a lot of the V6s today have an impressive tone.

Before I did the V8 conversion to my truck, I ran a little 12" glass pack instead of a muffler. When the OEM muffler rusted off, bent backwards, wrapped around the rear axle, and bent my PS shock, I took it to a muffler shop and asked for the cheapest thing they could do to get me back running. They said that would be a $9 12" glass pack. That glass pack was installed back in '94 and lasted till the day I cut the V6 exhaust out to put the V8 in. I sometimes regret buying the cheapest thing. But getting the $9 glass pack over the $35 muffler was the best gimme-the-cheap-thing purchase I ever made. I had no real clue at the time that it would change the exhaust tone as much as it did. Even with the stock CATs staying in place and maintaining the single exhaust, it still had a nice tone to it. Granted it was still a VERY stock 2.9L V6 and it sounded like it, but it had a distinctive tone. In fact, I heard the V6 exhaust tone far more than I do the V8's exhaust because my pipes now point straight out the back where the V6 exhaust system pointed the pipe to the passenger side. Every bridge I went over, every underpass I went through, every tunnel, or building I drove down the side of (with the pipe pointing at it), would clearly echo that little V6's exhaust tone. With the V8, I hear the intake roar from under the hood far more than I do the exhaust. If I had it to do over again, I'd have gone with glass packs instead of turbo mufflers and I'd have the pipes pointing out both sides of the truck instead of straight out the back...just so I could hear the exhaust again.
Last edited by cgrey8 on Fri May 21, 2010 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
6jeff6

Post by 6jeff6 »

Interesting write-up thank you.

Now when I start my v-8 swap on my 92 4x4 I know where the exhaust is going. :)

Jeff
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Some when running duals have used the single (Flowmaster?) mufler with the dual in and dual out even with the V-8, running the pipes on the passenger side.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
6jeff6

Post by 6jeff6 »

I don't think I'd like both out same side.

jeff
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

If you like the Flowmaster sound, then having the dual-in/dual-out is probably the best option as it eliminates one of the mufflers and acts sort of like an H-pipe to let the two exhaust banks relieve each other. However Flowmasters are pricey. So unless you are after that distinctive Flowmaster sound, there are far cheaper ways to get exhaust tone...it just won't be a Flowmaster tone.

Besides, I've never particularly liked that sound. Even when they were the hot thing going and it was a status symbol to have a car with Flowmasters, I still didn't care for it. I prefer the raw sound of a glass pack over a "performance" tone muffler any day. But they aren't as bad as the fart-cans. There's a special place in hell for people that have fart-cans. :evil: I believe it's the same place that child molesters and people that talk at the theater are sent.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
6jeff6

Post by 6jeff6 »

cgrey8 wrote:If you like the Flowmaster sound, then having the dual-in/dual-out is probably the best option as it eliminates one of the mufflers and acts sort of like an H-pipe to let the two exhaust banks relieve each other. However Flowmasters are pricey. So unless you are after that distinctive Flowmaster sound, there are far cheaper ways to get exhaust tone...it just won't be a Flowmaster tone.

Besides, I've never particularly liked that sound. Even when they were the hot thing going and it was a status symbol to have a car with Flowmasters, I still didn't care for it. I prefer the raw sound of a glass pack over a "performance" tone muffler any day. But they aren't as bad as the fart-cans. There's a special place in hell for people that have fart-cans. :evil: I believe it's the same place that child molesters and people that talk at the theater are sent.
I can't find the flowmaster dual in and out. Heck I can't find any dual in for that truck.
2007 4.0 4x4 auto 4 door.
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

I had printed the part info out and have it here on my desk -Somewhere. Might have been Magnaflow and wasn't for a Ranger. Part of doing anything non-standard is having to be creative. See if I can find it. I think the reason for run on the one side at least for a ways was to avoid the gas tank.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
6jeff6

Post by 6jeff6 »

Ya the tank gets in the way.
It's someone elses truck so a bolt on would be best.

My swap may have them coming out the hood :) but the kids want it streetable so I'm going to be quite the bother around here for a carbed 302 swap(prolly c4 tranny) in a 92 4x4 extended cab. I can't wait to start :mrgreen:

First 5.1 stroker in 02 gt(2.2 kb up top) on sunday. All my old stang stuff now my bros.

Then it's my project :D 400-500hp 4x4 ranger
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

It would likely be a custom job. For instance in my 89 Ranger, the factory had both banks coming together, then feeding into a set of in-line CATs, then into a single muffler. So people that dual-exhaust converted my era trucks had to basically install a completely new exhaust system from the exhaust manifolds back.

Some company somewhere probably made a prefabbed system like they do for Mustangs, but you could almost surely get it custom fabbed cheaper. Although it would be aluminized steel, not Stainless. That's what I got going up to my headers on the V8. I asked the guy if it was worth it to run Stainless and he said I could buy 2 or 3 aluminized steel exhaust systems over the life of my truck and still not pay as much as I'd pay for a stainless system. He suggested that if there's even a chance I might put a different set of headers in or do something different that would affect the exhaust, it's far better and cheaper to stick with aluminized, so I'm not patching pipes vs cut-n-ditch the old and rebend new.

In your case, I think newer emissions standards have the CATs closer to the engine so each bank probably has its own CAT. But at some point the two banks will come together at a Y. You'll need to abandon the Y and run new pipe from somewhere between the CATs and that Y. Then somewhere around the passenger side rear fender well, put a pair of mufflers or a dual-in/out. It doesn't matter what muffler you choose as long as it fits in that area. Here's what my exhaust looks like back at the mufflers:
Notice the corner of the gas tank preventing any chance of getting the DS exhaust safely down the length of the truck there. Malcolm ran his DS side exhaust down the DS of the truck, but that was because he ditched the stock tank and put a gas tank in the bed along with his battery.

These two just show the routing after the mufflers:
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
6jeff6

Post by 6jeff6 »

Thank you for the info.
How restrictive does the muffler have to be or does it really matter?