high flow cats

Discussion of all other Fords, Mustangs, F150s etc.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Dave
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: high flow cats

Post by Dave »

6jeff6, don't tell me you're another one with a Mustang! You're going to love that KB. These new designed blowers really are a lot better, more power and more efficient to boot.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
6jeff6

Post by 6jeff6 »

Had a 2000 gt with built bottom end, kb and th400 to back it. Put down 507rwhp through auto. Was best toy I ever had. Split a cylinder wall in 2 when wife was driving back from track(I pulled camper).
Built 5.1 stroker took to a shop for tune and valve seats leaked(5 angle valve job tick to aggressive) pulled motor and trany at shop sent heads to get fixed and some asshat lite up car next to mine(at shop), it exploded and burnt mine :cry: .
Ugh in short parted out most parts but put big return style fuel system, kb bas, 33 spline rear with spool and now 5.1 stroker on sunday in bros 02 gt.
F'n sucks but I couldn't build again on my coin.

It's going to be through stock auto until he can afford better but it's gotta be over 700 with an auto :mrgreen: but only 450 til he's ready.

jeff
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

6jeff6 wrote:Thank you for the info.
How restrictive does the muffler have to be or does it really matter?
Restrictive? You don't want it any more restrictive than it has to be. People pay out the nose for mufflers like Flowmasters because they tout being the least restrictive mufflers around. But dyno tests have shown that while they are less restrictive, the OEM mufflers are not that far behind. With stock engines, the OEM muffler is quite sufficient so putting an aftermarket high-flow muffler on a stock engine will increase HP maybe 2HP, if that...certainly not enough to feel.

So the only reason to buy one brand muffler over another is fitment, cost, tone, and durability...IMO. The fact that you get a sticker with the more expensive mufflers is hardly a selling point to me.

Now tuned exhaust systems are a completely different matter. Tuned exhaust systems, like the ones you see made for Mustangs have magic cooked in. Through fancy science and all sorts of other incantations, mfgs have found the optimal locations for installing the CATs, H-pipe, and Mufflers to optimize scavenging. But even in these cases, the exhaust system is designed to reduce backpressure on the engine's exhaust ports and promote better flow.

Sometimes you will hear about people that find that when they put mufflers on an engine, the engine performs better than it did with straight headers. When that happens, that's simply a sign that they chose the wrong cam for the engine, spark advance isn't setup right, or some other problem that just happens to be improved by the backpressure. Once you are in that situation, it's often better to leave the mufflers on and enjoy the added performance. But if truth be known, the mufflers improving the engine just means there's even more horses in the engine that can't get out.

BTW, sux about the asshat that burned up your car. You didn't take your loss out on his wallet?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
6jeff6

Post by 6jeff6 »

vids from 06 here http://www.dropshots.com/6Jeff6#date/2006
No roll bar so being careful lol
still have 98 blue vert yet. Wifes but I drive too now that I don't have a toy. Bring on the ranger :)

jeff
6jeff6

Post by 6jeff6 »

BTW, sux about the asshat that burned up your car. You didn't take your loss out on his wallet?[/quote]

I couldn't; wasn't insured by me and they never found him(paid off and getting worked on why insure it). Guys shop insurace gave me $2,500 but wth was that. Had damn near that much in the hood alone.

ugh over with I guess

Once again great explanation.

thank you

jeff
6jeff6

Post by 6jeff6 »

Dave wrote:6jeff6, don't tell me you're another one with a Mustang! You're going to love that KB. These new designed blowers really are a lot better, more power and more efficient to boot.
Dave
That roush you have has to be fun. I've always loved the looks of a roush got any pics???

jeff
87sc302

Post by 87sc302 »

http://www.streetfire.net/video/v8-rang ... 148680.htm

This is my exhaust tri y headers with flowmaster 2 1/2 dual inlet and dual outlet (one mufffler).

I like the old school sound, but thats just me.
87 XCab Lowered
306 CI World windsor Heads
Tr-Y Headers, Flowmaster,Mild
650 Quik fuel Holley/Edelbrock rpm perf
T-5
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

I knew someone here was running the dual in/out. I like that sound! Lots of different trucks and combonations here, from mild to wild. Old trucker down in FL has an old style blower on top of a 347 with a tilt hood.
Jeff - about that Roush, yes fun. Got too used to only 385 rwhp so last Fall I took a road trip our to the Roush "Mother Ship" and had the forged bottom end and the new TVS 2300 blower installed. Should be at 500-540 rwhp now. Has some pictures of some of the swap at the shop. Was very interesting. They had a beautiful '63' ground up restoration of a Galalix convert with a 511 in it sitting in a corner. Next to that was a Cobra replica with a 427 with a four Weber dual carb motor waiting to go in. Long day - starting to ramble!
Dave
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1827&p=15358&hilit=roush#p15358
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
6jeff6

Post by 6jeff6 »

Dang you really stepped up your car. :D
Looks awesome and moves out; what more can you ask for???

Congrats on owning and driving one of the best muscle cars on the road.

Jeff
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

6jeff6 wrote:Dang you really stepped up your car. :D
Looks awesome and moves out; what more can you ask for???

Congrats on owning and driving one of the best muscle cars on the road.

Jeff
My retirement gift to myself, why else work your butt off for 45 years.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed