Is 200 amp crank setting on chargers bad for EFI vehicles?

Discussion of all other Fords, Mustangs, F150s etc.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Is 200 amp crank setting on chargers bad for EFI vehicles?

Post by cgrey8 »

My 97 Ranger 4.0L got a dead battery. The battery is REALLY dead in that it won't hold a charge even when given one. So to get it cranked, I set my Schumacher charger to 200 amp, which runs the voltage to the 18s. I tried to crank it yesterday and it started. I was just making sure I could get it to crank so I could drive it to AutoZone to get a new battery. Today, I tried to crank it to go get a new battery and it wouldn't start. The engine turned over, but it just never would start. I pulled a plug wire and put it next to something metal to see if it would spark and I didn't see anything spark. I may not have had a good ground. And being it was cold, I didn't spend any more time on it. But I'm curious if the 200 amp crank setting on chargers are known to cause problems? Keep in mind, it may not be the coil pack. But I'm almost hoping it is. That's an easy fix once the battery is replaced.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org