Porting GT40p & E7TE heads

Discussion of all other Fords, Mustangs, F150s etc.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Porting GT40p & E7TE heads

Post by cgrey8 »

While looking for people that have posted their experience on this, I found an article detailing what parts to and not to grind on based on flow bench feedback. Both the GT40p head and E7TE were discussed. Interesting stuff for those interested in head porting:
DIYPorting.com
Last edited by cgrey8 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: Porting E7TE and GT40p heads

Post by cgrey8 »

It was finally cool enough for me to begin work on porting the heads. I got all the tools, lighting, heads, and camera setup for my 1st attempt at porting. I have no clue whether its going well, but it appears it is. Here's what I've gotten so far. Keep in mind, this port isn't finished, these are just work-in-progress pics.

Here's the thermactor bump. With better lighting, I was able to get pics that showed the texture and surface contours a bit better than any other pic I've found on the Internet for GT40p heads.
Before:

After:

Here are some views of the problem areas of the exhaust bowl and the results.
Before:

After:
Shortly after this pic, I got on the back of the port to smooth out that machined edge Ford left when they knocked down the valve guide. But from everything I've read, there's very little benefit in messing with the contours of the back of the bowl. There's just not much flow in the very back or back-bottom of the port to make much difference.

Here's a shot from the bowl out to the port.
The dark spot in the middle of the runner is an indention where Ford would've drilled out to install the smog pump leads. Its difficult to see it in the pic, but that dark spot is actually a flat surface perpendicular to the view at this angle. Since Explorers don't have a smog pump, this provision is undrilled. It being there, I'm sure, is no good for exhaust flow, but since I can only remove metal, not fill in voids (at least not on the exhaust side), there's not much I can do about it. I have seen where people fill in voids and reshape intake ports using something that looked to me like epoxy. Once set, they then sand the port to the desired shape. But that's not an option on exhaust ports.

I was also very conservative about how much metal I removed since I've heard there's a water jacket very near that thermactor bump on that downward slope from the valve guide. At one point, I saw a profile of the inside of a GT40p head where someone took a bandsaw to the head so they could better see the port shape and how thick the walls really are. But I can't find it anymore. If anybody stumbles across it, link to it. That would be really helpful info.

Overall just what I've done so far should give that port modest improvements over stock. Those edges were not smooth at all which actually made them easy to knock down. I've been impressed by how easily the metal comes off.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Looks like it's just as challenging to take the pics as it is to do the actual porting. Good job though. I look forward to seeing your progress.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

It really is a challenge getting good pics. You don't have a real appreciation for how good your maker is until you try to get a camera to capture what your eye see's without a problem. My camera isn't a cheap camera either. Although if it were a DSLR, I expect it would be a little easier, but those start at like $800 and go well into the multiples of thousands depending on how much you want to pay. Add to that, they are generally heavy, bulky, and have big lenses...so they aren't good workbench cameras. My advanced Point-n-Shoot is a $450 camera, but I didn't actually pay that. I bought it used off eBay for $250 including 2GB memory card, camera bag, and tripod. The reviews were great for it, but I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed in it for being so highly recommended by others. Although I'm probably not using the camera the way the average user would.

Having better lighting helps. Notice the blue haze in the pics. That's from installing two fluorescent shop lights right above my bench and putting 6500k "daylight" bulbs in them. I also have a 250w halogen spot light and normal incandescent shop light for getting light closer to where I'm taking a picture. What really works best for the camera is having those multiple light sources.

It looks like the weather is going to remain pleasant, so I'll be spending more time on them...which means I'll get more pics. I have a video of the port that really shows the contours but it is about 75MB. I'll have to figure out where I can post it on the Internet if anybody is interested in seeing it.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Chris,
Don't you use something like MS photo manager to crop and compress/resize the pictures? Good looking pictures and documenting your progress.
Weather pleasent here but still got roads closed. Last Sept we set a record low for rain fall on only .1 inches. Last Thursday had 5.5 inches and the ground was already soaked. No problem where I live, 40 feet above water.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I use SnagIt to reduce, crop, and add edits like those arrows to the pictures. But I don't do any other processing to the pics than that.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Here's a nice before-n-after of the exhaust valve guide:
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

FYI - Gimp from gimp.org is an excellent free alternative to Photoshop and works on Mac, Linux, and Windows.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

One thing I noticed while researching porting GT40p heads is there's a lack of pics on the Internet that show what the exhaust port with the EGR provision. Since I was in there dealing with that, here are some pics for those that are curious how different the port looks from all the others.

Here's the ported port. BTW, these are not pics of the same port. I forgot to get before-n-after pics before I ported this port. So the above pics were of the other head:

I have no clue how having this provision affects exhaust flow@WOT, but I have to believe there's some difference in the amount the EGR-equipped port flow vs the others. The provision is in the #3/#6 exhaust port. For all I know this port actually flows better since there's two ways for exhaust to escape this bowl...through the main exhaust port and through the EGR port, up through the lower intake, and down through the other head. Since there are always 2 cylinder fires between #3 and #6, exhaust flowing through the crossover is never flowing against a high pressure condition. So even in vehicles without a working EGR, there's exhaust flow through the EGR runner assuming the lower intake has the EGR crossover provision. Some late model Explorer intakes (both upper and lower) and 351w intakes don't have EGR provisions. In those cases, I would expect the existence of that provision to be more of a detriment than vehicles with the EGR path unobstructed.

Anyway, I thought these were interesting pics, so I threw them up here.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Chris,
Tried that DIY link on porting and it said "Not found, link broken". Trying to help someone local here. How much does it typically cost to have the "P" heads ported? How much HP is normally gained with the port job?
Dave - first frost of the year coming this week-end!
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I fixed the link in the original post so it should work now.

As for reasonable expectations from a porting job, that's difficult to say. A conservative porting job which is just cleaning up roughness in the bowl, knocking the thermactor bump down, and shaping the ports up a tad seems to be good for about 5-6% more flow. An expert can get around 10-12% additional flow from GT40p heads. I've heard numbers as high as 220cfm on the intake port of GT40p heads (stock is around 185cfm) with 200cfm being fairly easily attainable. Whatever the percentage increase in flow is should equate the same percentage of HP since more flow generally means more HP...those are typically a 1:1 ratio when the engine (including tune if EFI) is setup right.

Now as for how much it would cost to have GT40p heads ported, I don't know. But it seems that an hour or two hours per port is about typical for the average DIY porter. An expert porter could probably knock out a port job in less time depending on what all had to be done and how familiar he was with the head. But even going as fast as you can, the metal only comes off so fast. Since I haven't completed my job yet, I can't say how long its going to take. I can say that knocking the intake port's valve guide back is FAR slower than it was on the exhaust. There's a bit more material to remove or my cutter's getting dull. You'd think with the bowl and port being bigger, that it'd be easier to maneuver in, but it's not. The intake runner is substantially longer than the exhaust runner which makes doing any work from the port much more limiting. Almost everything you do in the bowl has to be done from above. Being porting is a labor-intensive task, I expect an expert porter to want decent money for his time and expertise. Granted an expert would be able to get more out of the heads than a novice, but I don't think the cost an expert porter would charge would be worth whatever that extra he'd get. So if you aren't going to port stock heads yourself, you are probably better off buying some used aftermarket heads. They'll flow more than the GT40p heads would flow even with a top notch port job thanks to larger runners, bigger/better valves, and better port design. And aftermarket heads usually have a better combustion chamber design as compared to stock heads too. If the aftermarket heads are aluminum, you'll be gaining HP just due to lighter front end weight too. If you've never picked up a V8 cast iron head before, they are heavy!!! People aren't kidding when they talk about crappy stock heads being good boat anchors. I've picked up aluminum heads before and I believe it'd take 3, maybe 4 aluminum heads to equal the weight of 1 cast iron head.

Hope that helps...
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Sure does Chris! You think the SBF stuff is heavy, try some of the old FE stiff.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I remember the look on the UPS driver's head when he picked up my old cast iron heads for shipping lol. I had them both in one box together lol.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Well, I finally got the intake guides shaped up a little better and ground down. I forgot to get pics, but I did get some pics of the gasket on the head and intake. And one thing I thought interesting is there's very little for me to shape up the intake port. The ports are nearly as big as the gasket to start with. I'm afraid if I take too much off, I'll do more damage to flow than good. Check it out:
I'll be able to shape up the port, but I don't think there's much meaningful I can do to open the port.

Contrast this with the gasket on the intake manifold:
There's a massive amount of material to remove to get the intake flowing better. But that's no surprise. This is exactly what Tom Moss was saying makes porting the lower so useful. Removing that material and shaping up the port increases the lower from about 350hp to 400hp.

BTW, I took a closer look at the intake's EGR provision and as it turns out, EGR is only pulled from 1 head. I thought it was a crossover path, but it isn't...at least not on the Explorer era GT40 lower intake.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Well, after studying the pics on diyPorting.com and looking at my heads with the Explorer gasket. Something just wasn't adding up. And after having the copper gasket update/discussion, I figured out what the problem was.

Look at my pic with the Explorer gasket:

Here's the pic from diyPorting:

His gasket shows a big gap at the top of the port...kind of like the copper gasket:

As a result of this, I couldn't open the port up higher at the top because my gasket doesn't allow that. As a result, instead of my ports looking like his:

My ported exhaust ports look more like Ds:

I wonder if anybody else has ever noticed this difference between Mustang and Explorer exhaust ports before???

Moving on, I thought I'd post some pics of the ported intake ports. I'm not proud of the intake porting job. They all look a bit rough. I haven't done any smoothing or cleanup work. But from everything I've read about porting in general, smoothing the roughness from the cutters isn't really beneficial. The roughness, particularly on the intake port is useful for helping to atomize the fuel being sprayed into the ports by giving a little more surface area for the fuel to spread across. Contours and sharp edges hinder flow because they cause eddys and disruptions in the flow pattern, but rough surface doesn't really do that much to hinder flow. So I'm considering leaving the surfaces as you see them. Anyway, here are some shots:
Note the intake port hasn't been ported yet. I've done some grinding but I didn't get any pics because I'm not done with them yet.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org