Porting GT40p & E7TE heads

Discussion of all other Fords, Mustangs, F150s etc.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: Porting GT40p & E7TE heads

Post by cgrey8 »

A note for anybody following in my footsteps to do a DIY port of their heads, make sure to use a head gasket to align the intake gasket with. I didn't know until I started putting the engine together that the head gaskets have "wings" on them that stick out beyond the heads that are there to align the intake gaskets. Notice:
IntakeGasketAlignedByHeadGasket.jpg
The red arrows point at the head gasket tabs that stick out beyond that the head used by the intake gaskets. And as you can see from the yellow arrows, there was a fair amount more I could've ported these heads if I'd known I wasn't getting the intake gasket aligned on the head right. If I had it to do again, I'd have ground those ports out to gasket-match. But at this point the heads are assembled and mounted on the engine with the $40 each head gaskets already torqued down and crushed. So I'm running them as-is for this build. But I'll know if I ever port another set of heads how to mark up the ports correctly. Sadly none of the porting sites I read mentioned this. I guess they just assumed everybody would know this.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Re: Porting GT40p & E7TE heads

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I hate finding stuff out like that. At least you know now for the future though.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8