Project Dropzone..

All you can handle multimedia.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Toomanycars

Re: Project Dropzone..

Post by Toomanycars »

Im weighting on a few things to finish up some of the body work so I dove into the interior .. pulled the 60/40 bench and chopped the center out and made buckets and installed a center console I pulled out of a 93 explorer .. This is the first install just to see how it all will fit together ..

well it took me 3 hours but I got it out ... I pulled out the old cracked dash and after some dye and a few costume touches im going to install a newer dash..

The old cracked one I pulled

how the truck sits now ....

and the new dash as it sits before dye and stuff..

getting the shop cleaned up and ready for winter so I had the 91 outside sitting next to my 90 DD ... so i took a pic..

Toomanycars

Post by Toomanycars »

and that brings us everyone up todate .. heres some pics of the lincoln and motor and such that i pulled and am geting ready to clean paint and do a few upgrades to ..

well I started with this

then this happened

and now its siting on the floor like this weighting to be cleaned up and have some shinny new parts added..

well i separated the motor and tranny today .. went after the motor with the air wand to get all the lose crap off of there.. got it on the engine stand and this weekand I will start the tear down and clean up of the motor..

Toomanycars

Post by Toomanycars »

the 4.0 and tranny are out of the ranger now and I going to start cleaning up the firewall and engine compartment ..
Grumpy
SM: No

Post by Grumpy »

NICE truck ................ im doing a 90 model .... i have seen alot of the 1st gen ones ... an alot of the 3rd gens too ...... but not to many of the 2nd gens.....lol ......i got some pix posted here of mine ... if ya want to go look ?? .....
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
Toomanycars

Post by Toomanycars »

thanks grumpy .. nice truck ya got there..

I went to a friends today to get a comp and wiring harness and he gave me a few othere things as well..

cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

That's a 96 Explorer intake elbow on that upper. Those were only available on the 96 models and they were designed to pull EGR gas from the intake manifold like the 95-older car 5.0Ls did. The 97-01 models used a different elbow that pulled EGR from a stainless tube that bolted to an EGR provision on the exhaust manifold. While there's not a lot of demand for those elbows, they are rare none-the-less.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Teddyzee

Post by Teddyzee »

cgrey8 wrote:While there's not a lot of demand for those elbows, they are rare none-the-less.

I've got one of those- in the bottom of a box somewhere!

TMC, the build looks great!
'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
18X9,18X10 Bullitts 275/40 front and 295/35/18 rear
5.0 H.O. T5, 1.7rr, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm tb, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.55 Traction Lok, dual 2.5" Flowmasters, Cobra discs front and rear
Explorer power buckets and console
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

The reason there's not a lot of demand for them is because people are so quick to delete EGR. If you are deleting EGR from your setup, it doesn't matter which elbow you have, both are easy enough to block off. And if you fab up your own bracket and plan to run a Mustang style TB, then you can delete the elbow entirely.

But for people trying to maintain EGR while using an older Mustang computer, these elbows come in quite handy since you can run the same EGR setup as the Mustangs that pulled EGR up through the intake. Although Malcolm had a welder and just welded up a stainless pipe from his header up to an F150 EGR and that worked pretty well. I didn't have a welder and fabbed up a copper tube. That worked for over a year, but eventually the copper corroded from the inside out and eventually failed. It took some doing to fab that pipe up in the 1st place, it would've been a major pain to make another with the engine in the engine bay. So I found it easier to just abandon the EGR pipe idea and use one of those 96 Explorer elbows. My 97 still had an upper/lower with an EGR provision in it making this an option and that has worked great since. It worked so well, I decided to stick with that setup for this engine and so when I found another of those elbows, I bought it and have it ready for this new 331 I'm building. If I had my own welder, I'd probably go back to the tube idea just to keep the heat out of the intake. But the EGR coming up through the intake has never been a problem, even in the heat of the summer, so I've never been compelled to do anything about it.

Anyway, I didn't mean to jack the thread. I just recognized the elbow and wanted to mention its significance.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Toomanycars

Post by Toomanycars »

its cool cgrey8 information is always a good thing
Toomanycars

Post by Toomanycars »

went to my local you-pull-it yard and there's a 96 explorer out there.. im going back tomorrow for the heads.. :)
Toomanycars

Post by Toomanycars »

well my convertible motor mounts showed up today .. time to squeeze this thing in and see if it fits.
Toomanycars

Post by Toomanycars »

Ok I'm going to write this all out so anyone looking for this info will find it ..

My truck is a 2wd 1991 ford ranger ext short box standard cab.. It came factory with a 4.0 ltr , automatic transmission , and it had air conditioning ..

the motor and transmission I am swapping into the truck is a 1989 ford 5.0 out of a Lincoln town car, and the automatic transmission that was in the same car.

to install the motor I bought motor mounts for a 1990 ford mustang gt convertible . Part number 2725 for the drivers side mount and 2726 for the passengers side mount.
I found in my situation that with the passenger side in the back hole of the two on the frame cross member and the drivers side in the front hole everything seems to line up and sit straight ..

I put the head on the passenger side with the valve cover to test the heater box clearance and found there to be plenty of room..

Once I install the transmission I will continue with more pictures and info.. for now hears all the pics I have of my progress ..

The motor sitting in the engine bay

passenger side motor mount.. its still siting away from the frame because I need to make a hole for the locator dowel ..

The drivers side looks a little crooked but its just the weird angle I had to take the picture

Heater box clearance without the head and valve cover ..

Hears the same pic with the head and valve cover on ..

hears a pic of the clearance from the oil filter outlet to the steering box.

any questions or more pics wanted let me know ...
85 ranger btm

Post by 85 ranger btm »

nice truck cant wait to see the finished product. are you gonna paint the whole truck that royal blue color?
Toomanycars

Post by Toomanycars »

the plan I have in my mind is .. Pepsi can blue with some flat black accents .. but that could change
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

That color is also know as "Richard Petty Blue". He did drive a Ford for the '69' NASCAR year. Just a FYI.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting