Project Dropzone..

All you can handle multimedia.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: Project Dropzone..

Post by cgrey8 »

From the factory, Ford routes the PCV to two vacuum inlets. Usually one is the tap in the center runner, and the other is to the tap in the very back. Best I can figure is they want to make sure if oil gets sucked in, it coats the intake evenly instead of only feeding the back 2 or 3 cylinders. That's purely a guess. And on both my Explorer uppers, the back vacuum provision had a removable Tee in it. But the front was a pressed-in 90 degree pipe that isn't easily removable. Was yours the same? If so, what will you be blocking that off with?

On a sidenote, I'm just so impressed by how much better these intakes look painted vs the gray powder coat. Mine is a dark blue with the lower painted black like yours (mainly to hide porting the weld marks). I was disappointed that the paint isn't that durable. Minor dings and scrapes getting the intake installed and setting tools on it blemished mine a tad. It was nothing a retouch with the paint can didn't cure. But I fear it won't stay looking this nice nearly as long as powder coating it would've. But now that the engine's in and tools won't be on it that much anymore, hopefully it will stay. We'll see.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Toomanycars

Post by Toomanycars »

mine had the same removeable tee in the back and the 90 on the front .. what i did was remove the tee and cut the 90 as close as i could . I plan on drilling out whats left of the 90 and taping it that way i can just screw in some dead ends as plugs ...
Toomanycars

Post by Toomanycars »

the motor is finally in for the last time .. I put the new valve covers on and slid the motor in and there was a few places were I had to do some mods . When I made my motor mounts i made it so the motor was as far down and back as possible .. the new valve covers are bigger so they contacted the fire wall .. few cuts latter some welding and a small amount of bondo to make it look alittle better and it fits like a glove.

here you can see where I cut to gain some clearance

I made some patch panels and welded them in..

A little bondo to smooth things out a bit..

and some paint to finish things up..

Now the motor is in and everything clears... time to start wiring things up..

DirtAssassin

Post by DirtAssassin »

Why didnt you like the convertible mounts??
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

How do you put oil in it? I don't see an oil fill hole. Pour it slowly down the dipstick tube?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Toomanycars

Post by Toomanycars »

DirtAssassin wrote:Why didnt you like the convertible mounts??
I dident like them because I dident like the position of the motor with them .. I used the factory 4.o mounts.. BUT I did not use the factory holes in the frame .. what I did was weld up the cross member and with a hallow motor (block and heads and intake ) I installed the motor with some old mounts attached and the bolt that goes threw the frame cut to about 1/16th of and inch.. then set it in the engine bay and made some marks for the mount holes in the frame. By doing this its back further and down a bunch.. I did have to mod the firewall abit but nothing to major ..
Toomanycars

Post by Toomanycars »

cgrey8 wrote:How do you put oil in it? I don't see an oil fill hole. Pour it slowly down the dipstick tube?
LOL the oil thats in it now was filled threw the distributor hole ..haha .. I have a breather/filler hole that i will be installing just weighting for it to get here so I can make sure i have the right holesaw .
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

those valve covers are EXACTLY the ones i got for my truck also..... where did ya get them and how much ya give for them???? i want to see if i paid to much or not.....lol .... btw...... it looks GOOD sittin in there... i cant wait for it to dry out some here(i have no shop i have to do all my work in an open yard .open to the weather and stuff..) so i can get started on all the swapping parts from one ranger to another so i can enjoy this machine before i die .... lmao
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
Toomanycars

Post by Toomanycars »

after a short break I finally am getting back to working on the ranger ..

still weighting on a few parts for the engine so I started working on the body again .. pulled the box off tonight and got the hole for the old tail handle closed and now im trying to figure out what to do with the gap between the pan and the tail gate..

hears what I started with ..

And hears where im at now.

Toomanycars

Post by Toomanycars »

got alittle done today.. decided that while I wait fore the supply's i ordered to get here i would mount my mirrors ..

Toomanycars

Post by Toomanycars »

been working on getting the box ready for primer ...

Chris

Post by Chris »

Very cool idea using the Harley Davidson mirror. Trucks coming along great.
1990 Ranger 302- E303 cam, Comp Gold RR, GT40 Intake, MSD 6AL, Hooker SuperComp long tubes; 4R70W- shift kit, other internal mods; 8.8" 3.73 Posi-Trac, 31 spline axles.

Early production 1965 Coupe- June 16, 1964, Guardsman Blue, D code 289 4V, T-10 4 Speed-- All original.

1965 Coupe, A code 289, T10 4 Speed, Originally Rangoon Red...Will be again someday-- currently undergoing restoration.
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

Why did you cut the fire wall? Why not just move the motor up? Looks like you have lots of room to have been able to move the motor forward..
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
Toomanycars

Post by Toomanycars »

v8ranger wrote:Why did you cut the fire wall? Why not just move the motor up? Looks like you have lots of room to have been able to move the motor forward..
because it was the quickest fix in my eyes .. it only took me about any hour to pull the motor fix the firewall and have it ready for paint .. I dident feel that changing the motor mounts the drive shaft and moving the rad would have been as ez.