Driving my turbocharged v8 ranger

All you can handle multimedia.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

302project
SM: No

Driving my turbocharged v8 ranger

Post by 302project »

I finally got some tune done to the truck but unfortunately not like i want it but it works. Anyways here are some vids.
Watch closely the second video and notice that I loose traction at 80mph+ And this is only at 12 lbs of boost!!! :mrgreen:

YouTube - My Turbo V8 Ranger First Drive

YouTube - Driving my turbo v8 ranger
1993 Ford Ranger STX with a BOSS302 4-bolt main block in 5.0L form, Scat crank and rods, Probe pistons, Trickflow twisted wedge heads, intake and fuel rails, Scorpion 1.6 roller rockers, Automotive A1000 fuel pump, Canton oil pan, Mellin high volume oil pump, B&G Custom headers, PT88 Turbo, HPX PMAS MAF, MSD A6L box and distributor, Ford Racing 9 mm spark plug wires, 80 lbs Siemems injectors, stock A9L computer with an SCT 4 bank chip, ford 9" rear with coil overs, Tremec TKO500.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Re: Driving my turbocharged v8 ranger

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Only 12 lbs lol. That's a fair amount. Did they tune it on the dyno? what sorta of numbers did it lay down?
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
302project

Post by 302project »

Yes only 12 lbs, i want to go for 25+ lbs in the future when I get the truck running right and when I learn how not to crap my pants lol. Now the tunning is a long story but to say it short,
they didn't so a dyno tunning, they just flash my chip with a basic tune. So I don't know how much HP it has but I'm guessing 450+ to the wheels but I don't know.
When I fix a couple of problems I'll take it again to the dyno for some number. I'm dying to know too :D
1993 Ford Ranger STX with a BOSS302 4-bolt main block in 5.0L form, Scat crank and rods, Probe pistons, Trickflow twisted wedge heads, intake and fuel rails, Scorpion 1.6 roller rockers, Automotive A1000 fuel pump, Canton oil pan, Mellin high volume oil pump, B&G Custom headers, PT88 Turbo, HPX PMAS MAF, MSD A6L box and distributor, Ford Racing 9 mm spark plug wires, 80 lbs Siemems injectors, stock A9L computer with an SCT 4 bank chip, ford 9" rear with coil overs, Tremec TKO500.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Wow 25lbs + is race fuel right? I know on my car 18 ~ 19lbs is about all you can get out of it on pump gas (93 octane). I only have 91 in Kansas City so I don't know how much boost I can safely run. Right now I'm at 15 lbs but I still need to get my tune dialed in properly. I just got my DynoJet wideband installed today.
What compression ratio are you running to handle that much boost?
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I was thinking E85 could probably handle 25PSI on gasoline compression. Thus you could build the engine to run that much pressure when you wanted to race it and fill it with E85. But if this was to be a frequently driven vehicle too, you could run pump gas...and of course for safety, you'd want to reset the waste gate to something much lower. And of course, you'd need a tune you could flip between when running E85, gasoline, and some mix in between (both spark and fuel demand change between the two fuels).

As for the tuning, SCT pretty much can't be beat on EEC-V stuff...at least right now. Although the Quarterhorse and the supporting tools are coming up to speed for even them. But that's going to take time. However an A9L is far better tuned on something like a Moates Quarterhorse. The SCT stuff sucks for EEC-IV because they don't have datalogging for the older EECs. And in order to so serious tuning, you need to be able to see what the EEC is doing to know how to adjust the tune. Otherwise, you are just guessing.

If your budget can swing it, I'd seriously recommend looking into getting the QH so once you get it to the dyno, they can see much more accurately what is going on and make instantaneous changes to the tune without having to shut the engine down, pull the chip, re-burn the chip, and plug the chip back to the EEC, crank the engine, wait past the "startup" period, and then retest. With the QH, you type in the new value, hit the update button, and in less than a second, the change is effective in the EEC. This makes it 100x easier and faster to dial in spark and fuel tables. The most important thing you need from the dyno is to know what spark and fuel numbers run best with your engine at WOT. Almost everything else related to driveability can be tuned without the dyno before or after going to the dyno. So what most people do is try to tune it all themselves, get everything as close as they can. Then go to the dyno for the WOT stuff. You may even wish to get it dyno tuned for both gasoline and E85 if that's the route you choose so you can get safe/optimial tunes for running both at WOT.

Of course all that does require that you already have a laptop. The interesting thing is there are people on the tuning forums that are using those little $300 net books to tune and finding they actually work 1/2 way decent. Although I personally need the big screen. The laptop is my 2nd dashboard. I occasionally glance down at it just to keep an eye on what's going on. Thus, I need the bigger screen to be able to see the numbers I'm looking for at a glance.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
lefty

Post by lefty »

Hey 302Project is that south FL. ? Looks like Hialeah or North miami . Just courious........
1984 longbed
30 over 302
edelbrock aluiminum preformer heads
e303 cam
1.6 rockers
600 cfm edelbrock / performer RPM intake
headman headers w/2.5 " duel in duel out magnaflow muffler.
8.8 diff; 3;73 LS
c5 w/b&m trick shift / 2800 stall speed converter
302project

Post by 302project »

lefty wrote:Hey 302Project is that south FL. ? Looks like Hialeah or North miami . Just courious........
Pretty good guess! It's in opa locka, south florida next to the palmetto
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Chris,

Wish I had E85 locally at my pumps. I'd switch my car in a heartbeat. For now I live with pump gas.

Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

lefty

Post by lefty »

Brings back memories . I was born and raised in south miami . Now in Daytona area .still get down there once in a while ... Truck looks good keep up the good work..
1984 longbed
30 over 302
edelbrock aluiminum preformer heads
e303 cam
1.6 rockers
600 cfm edelbrock / performer RPM intake
headman headers w/2.5 " duel in duel out magnaflow muffler.
8.8 diff; 3;73 LS
c5 w/b&m trick shift / 2800 stall speed converter
302project

Post by 302project »

cgrey8 wrote:I was thinking E85 could probably handle 25PSI on gasoline compression. Thus you could build the engine to run that much pressure when you wanted to race it and fill it with E85. But if this was to be a frequently driven vehicle too, you could run pump gas...and of course for safety, you'd want to reset the waste gate to something much lower. And of course, you'd need a tune you could flip between when running E85, gasoline, and some mix in between (both spark and fuel demand change between the two fuels).

As for the tuning, SCT pretty much can't be beat on EEC-V stuff...at least right now. Although the Quarterhorse and the supporting tools are coming up to speed for even them. But that's going to take time. However an A9L is far better tuned on something like a Moates Quarterhorse. The SCT stuff sucks for EEC-IV because they don't have datalogging for the older EECs. And in order to so serious tuning, you need to be able to see what the EEC is doing to know how to adjust the tune. Otherwise, you are just guessing.

If your budget can swing it, I'd seriously recommend looking into getting the QH so once you get it to the dyno, they can see much more accurately what is going on and make instantaneous changes to the tune without having to shut the engine down, pull the chip, re-burn the chip, and plug the chip back to the EEC, crank the engine, wait past the "startup" period, and then retest. With the QH, you type in the new value, hit the update button, and in less than a second, the change is effective in the EEC. This makes it 100x easier and faster to dial in spark and fuel tables. The most important thing you need from the dyno is to know what spark and fuel numbers run best with your engine at WOT. Almost everything else related to driveability can be tuned without the dyno before or after going to the dyno. So what most people do is try to tune it all themselves, get everything as close as they can. Then go to the dyno for the WOT stuff. You may even wish to get it dyno tuned for both gasoline and E85 if that's the route you choose so you can get safe/optimial tunes for running both at WOT.

Of course all that does require that you already have a laptop. The interesting thing is there are people on the tuning forums that are using those little $300 net books to tune and finding they actually work 1/2 way decent. Although I personally need the big screen. The laptop is my 2nd dashboard. I occasionally glance down at it just to keep an eye on what's going on. Thus, I need the bigger screen to be able to see the numbers I'm looking for at a glance.
Nice write up!
I'll be definitely look at the QH

Thanks for the info!!!
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

Pretty sweet video man..... I bet your pushing more than 450, just my opinion.
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
302project

Post by 302project »

^ Thanks!
You are probably right but I was just guessing since I have no idea what i'm making, but I think is a little more than the na 347 stroker that I had before :D
Hopefully I'll dyno tune it after I fix my overheating problem which will be soon
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

I'm guessing my supercharged Ranger to be around 400hp and I'm only running 6 pounds of boost.
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
302project

Post by 302project »

^^^have you driven your truck? Does it pull hard?

I feel mine pulling if I ease the throttle but when the turbo starts coming alive I loose traction it doesnt pull lol
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

Yes I have been driving mine all summer. Like I said, im only putting out 6 pounds of boost. So I dont have a problem loosing traction over 35mph or anything. Now 25 or 30 I can get it to break loose. I got stuck out in the rain with it one day, now thats intresting. I am still running a stock 5.0 HO block and pistons. And mine is not EFI. Your running 22 pounds of boost? that would be insane.. lol. You might have to do what the old trucker did to his Ranger, put 10 foot wide tires on it, lol. Do you have a posi rear end? Not sure what you mean by "pull" like pull, right? or pull hard because of horse power?
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end