New Toy

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

87sc302
SM: No

New Toy

Post by 87sc302 »

I picked up a 1986 Mustang GT convertible about a year ago.

New top reupholstered the seats(TMI) M&M subframe connectors and strut tower brace.

Old man is having a lot of fun.

CGrey do you know anything about Hose Wizards in Grayson GA.?
They make a 134a AC kit for fox mustangs?

I still have my Ranger the v8 has been in it for over 15 years!

Larry
87 XCab Lowered
306 CI World windsor Heads
Tr-Y Headers, Flowmaster,Mild
650 Quik fuel Holley/Edelbrock rpm perf
T-5
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: New Toy

Post by cgrey8 »

I don't. Grayson is a haul from me. I don't recall that I've ever even been through it.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
87sc302

Post by 87sc302 »

Chris
Late Model Restoration (fox mustang parts) out of Texas sells the R12 to 134A complete kit from them.

I am in Atlanta several days this week for work so I thought I might go by and check them out.

Larry
87 XCab Lowered
306 CI World windsor Heads
Tr-Y Headers, Flowmaster,Mild
650 Quik fuel Holley/Edelbrock rpm perf
T-5
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

My 89 Ranger had already been R134a converted back in the 90s. But when I did the V8 conversion, I reused the 97 Explorer's AC compressor and replaced the evaporator, condenser, and accumulator. I had no clue what orifice tube they used back then, so I just used a 92 Ranger orifice tube. I believe Rangers went R134a from the factory in 90 or 91?

But for your use, I don't really know what all would be necessary. My guess is you'd use the same orifice tube I would. I think all Ford orifice tubes are the same. The compressor is the issue for your year vehicle. I've long since forgotten what you have to do to reuse your compressor. I know you have to dump out as much of the R12 mineral oil as you can get out. But even trace amounts are bad if you don't put whatever special oil or additive in as the R134a oil. I can't remember if it's PAG oil or some other oil that's used with R134a and is mineral-oil tolerant. I know if you don't do it right, the new concoction doesn't play nice and coagulates which results in a burned up compressor really quickly. So it's good you are doing your homework to figure it out.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org