My low boost dyno results

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Dave
Supporting Member
SM: No

My low boost dyno results

Post by Dave »

Okay, 5.0 with 5-6 lbs but the new DOHC Mustang motor. Stock Roush tune and everything else, showroom stock. Got 513 RWHP at 6500 rpm. My old '07' 4.6 w/15 lbs got 503 RWHP. Malcom can tell you these new motors are unreal with the power they can put out. Wish it was easy and cheap to put in a Ranger. Live good and enjoy!
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
Chris

Re: My low boost dyno results

Post by Chris »

That's some stout numbers! These new modular motors are just crazy! I've worked on quite a few Mustang GTs and the Shelby GT500s. They always impress me!
1990 Ranger 302- E303 cam, Comp Gold RR, GT40 Intake, MSD 6AL, Hooker SuperComp long tubes; 4R70W- shift kit, other internal mods; 8.8" 3.73 Posi-Trac, 31 spline axles.

Early production 1965 Coupe- June 16, 1964, Guardsman Blue, D code 289 4V, T-10 4 Speed-- All original.

1965 Coupe, A code 289, T10 4 Speed, Originally Rangoon Red...Will be again someday-- currently undergoing restoration.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Fairly stout but these motors are so complicated and expensive. Don't get me wrong I love my 4.6 but it has so much money in it.

My buddy's GT500 with the 5.4 is also a beast (whipple, nitrous, water/meth, long tubes the whole nine yards) and recently damaged his motor. He went to get a new tune and the guy put a base tune on the car for 91 pump gas (water/meth turned off for initial tuning) with 18 degrees timing!!! wow. Mind you his car is around 23 ~ 24 lbs of boost, maybe more (gauge was pegged, needs a new one). Needless to say after a few hours or running all kinds of issues. Motor was detonating. Now it starts up with a knock, smokes, and there's a piece of metal bouncing around in cylinder #7 putting lots of dings in the top of the piston. Keeps squishing the spark plug too once the metal traps between piston and plug and squashes it. He's pissed. That's going to be a 10 grand repair easily. Labor, forged rods, pistons, machine work etc. I personally rebuilt my 4.6 myself, I know what's involved. He will be paying someone.

Now on the flip side I can't help but be jealous of the chevy guys. I've never been a chevy fan but have to admit I'm impressed. Some of my buddies are hardcore chevy guys with Camaros and the latest thing now is instead of building their 5.7 motors up they're just pulling the 5.3 truck motors out of the junk yards for approx $500. The only thing they do is put head studs on. Otherwise motor is stock. Bone stock crank, rods, pistons, cams, heads, you name it. They put on a 78 mm turbo and run E85 and make well north of 700 to the tires. They have barely any money into those setups and they seem to last two or three years and when a rod does finally let go instead of putting in forged internals they just yank another junk yard 5.3 and swap it in. Even though I don't like chevy I'm really impressed. I've personally seen these cars run and it's making me want to pick up a WS6 or something and do one of these swaps. Hella fast fun car for very little coin and the old push rod motors are soooo simple and easy to work on vs these mod motors or how about the coyote motors? Just the tuning of those variable over head cams is damn near impossible for a hobbyist. Heck even tuners that do it for a living have some issues with it.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
Chris

Post by Chris »

MalcolmV8 wrote:That's going to be a 10 grand repair easily. Labor, forged rods, pistons, machine work etc. I personally rebuilt my 4.6 myself, I know what's involved. He will be paying someone.
Those engines are fairly complicated to build. Everything must be done exactly to specs, there is no wiggle room. Thing is, once built correctly, they're incredably stout engines that'll handle quite a bit of power. In his case, his tuner screwed the pooch. Under those conditions, any gasoline internal combustion engine would fail. Personally, I love the modular motors. If they wouldnt be so expensive to bild, I'd have one in my ranger. I've built quite a few hot 4.6 and 5.4s. Theres nothing like the feeling of a supercharged 5.4!
1990 Ranger 302- E303 cam, Comp Gold RR, GT40 Intake, MSD 6AL, Hooker SuperComp long tubes; 4R70W- shift kit, other internal mods; 8.8" 3.73 Posi-Trac, 31 spline axles.

Early production 1965 Coupe- June 16, 1964, Guardsman Blue, D code 289 4V, T-10 4 Speed-- All original.

1965 Coupe, A code 289, T10 4 Speed, Originally Rangoon Red...Will be again someday-- currently undergoing restoration.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Chris wrote: Those engines are fairly complicated to build. Everything must be done exactly to specs, there is no wiggle room. Thing is, once built correctly, they're incredably stout engines that'll handle quite a bit of power. In his case, his tuner screwed the pooch. Under those conditions, any gasoline internal combustion engine would fail. Personally, I love the modular motors. If they wouldnt be so expensive to bild, I'd have one in my ranger. I've built quite a few hot 4.6 and 5.4s. Theres nothing like the feeling of a supercharged 5.4!
Yeah no doubt they are very strong. I built the 4.6 in my Cobra in 09 and have been pounding on it for 4 years now and still runs like stock. Amazing engines no doubt. Expensive though is the downside.
Agreed his tuner is to blame, wasn't saying that's a fault of the mod motor by any stretch. Just that now it sucks for him, massive repair bill due to the cost of building these motors.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8