Really bad engine sludge

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

plowboy34
SM: No

Re: Really bad engine sludge

Post by plowboy34 »

I have ran ATF with great results. Just add a quart when doing the oil change. It will clean an engine rather well.

As far as the tubes for venting that is all that use to be on engine before the pcv. They use to have a draft tube, the end of the tube was cut at an angle with the long point pointing towards the front of vehicle so when the air went by it would cause a vacuum in the tube and vent the engine. They worked good, the smog laws and EPA and all that stuff ended that practice. Actually farming tractors still used these up until the mid 90's and trust me they run some serious turbo pressures and as long as we keep the oil changed we have no sludging problems. I think you will be ok.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Interesting update. The Lexus had started making a squealing sound at start up and even sometimes continuously while driving. I had taken a listen to it a while ago but didn't have time to deal with it. It sounded just like a power steering pump only she said the noise was not affected at all when turning the wheel. I told her I'd have to take a look at it later as I was swamped with other stuff at the time.

Well I hear that since repairing the oil sludge problem some three weeks ago or so she said the noise immediately was gone and has never returned. WOW!! what on earth inside of the engine could have been squealing like that starving for oil? That certainly couldn't have been good. The majority of the time it was just on cold start up and would go away after a bit but there were a few times it was there while driving and wouldn't go away.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

If there is a cylinder not getting oil it may be the piston making noise.. I have heard a noise like that before in an engine right before it siezed up.. Maybe its a rocker arm.. Sounds like something is not getting oiled inside the engine..

cjcnomor4, yes I have done what your saying you heard of. Added a pint ( any more than that I wouldnt drive it ) of ATF and drove it for 200 to 300 miles, then change it.
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
Warpig Racing

Post by Warpig Racing »

I have seen this before in my old F150. When i bought the truck it say for 10+ years. It was caked on everywhere. I drove it for about 20K miles and had no clue but when I opened it up for upgrade I was floored. It was caked on everywhere. I suspect that this car has same issue. I have heard of running a oil/diesel fule mix in the oil for short times in the driveway to clean out all the gunk. You just dont know what will get picked up in the engine when/if you do that.

Also my dad's 92 ranger with 2.3L had to have the oil pan gasket replaced at about 50K miles. The pan gasket was flaking off and was clogging the pickup screen at higher RPM. Low RPM was ok but rev it up and the oil light would come on.
Will
88 extended cab w/ 347, C6 w/ 3100 stall, Narrow 9" w/ 28x14.50 Quick Time Pros.
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/imabass/Ranger
09 Honda chopper http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/imabass/CB750/
99 Ram
05 Toyota Camry (4 banger)
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Warpig Racing wrote:Also my dad's 92 ranger with 2.3L had to have the oil pan gasket replaced at about 50K miles. The pan gasket was flaking off and was clogging the pickup screen at higher RPM. Low RPM was ok but rev it up and the oil light would come on.
My 92 Ranger 2.3 did the exact same thing. I noticed oil light flickering on in normal driving and started having rockers tick. Oil pan gasket too had crumbled up and clogged the oil pickup. That motor had 186k miles though and the engine looked brand new inside when I pulled the oil pan. Probably because I changed the oil on it :)
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8