Subtle differences in the V8 Explorer over the years

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Dave
Supporting Member
SM: No

Subtle differences in the V8 Explorer over the years

Post by Dave »

Just a thought. How about getting all the info on the different years of the Explorer 5.0 into one central location. Which ones had what, when did they change to return-less fuel system, when did PATS come into affect and what years/motors are affected by that. I'm going to retire soon and am very willing to help compile everything I can. Really hard to do a search on just one item. Way too many things changed over the years, sensors, injectors, heads, exhaust manifolds, computers, fuel systems.
Dave - in Wisconsin
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
stranger

Post by stranger »

98 on the ex,99 on 6 cyl rangers.keep in mind that the motor build dates are a year eariler hense the famous 97 & 1/4 gt40p which were slated for 98 explorers.and why some people swear they have a 95 explorer motor which was only used starting in the 96 explorer

injector plug changed in 99 from rectangular to d shape
ev1 and ev6 the ev6 are said to have a finer spray pattern with better atomization thats why the 39lb ev6 in the lighting and cobra produce results of the common 42lb ev1

4cyl rangers got pats in 02

for some reason i believe the 05 is non pats,it came back in 06

returnless started in 99 but i have recently found out that its a mechanically regulated returnless.not like the stang which is pcm controlled.do not use a returnless focus or cobra fuel pump it will burn out.use common style fuel pump that gets constant voltage once engine starts,walbro,holley,fms or other that work in 89-95 stang.

all sensors,harness,and pcm are year specific.donot try to mix and match. you can be succsessful mixing some,

tps changes 96-97, 98, 99-01
you can change plugs to use any tps

maf changes 96-98 4 wire 99-01 had iat built in uses 6 wires.
i was able to change plug and use a 93 stang maf on my 98 4 wire

cam sensor changes 96-98 3 wire 99-01 2 wire not sure a plug change can work
Last edited by stranger on Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2000 trailhead,400 hp 5.0.still want more,blown,motor,410 going together now.
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

That's exactly the kind of info that needs to be put down. You have the best knowledge of what happened when. What fits with what mofifications would also be great.
I have an old '48' body style Plymouth but it was sold in '49 so it was tittled as a '49'.

Let me have all you know at

davemcin@wi-net.com
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

This is all that I know about Explorer 5.0Ls...

All 5.0L Explorer motors:
  • 65mm TB (TPS provision changes over the years)
  • 70mm MAF (wire count changes as discussed above)
  • OBD-II EECs (the EEC code and strategy changed from year to year.
  • No common EECs across years that I'm aware of. However I think there were some years that had multiple EECs and strategies)
  • Cobra-inspired upper intake with GT40 lower
  • 65mm elbow (minor casting changes over the years)
  • F4TE-6250-BA Explorer cam
  • Compressed accessories which affected water pump, harmonic balancer
  • No smog pump
1996-97
  • GT40 heads*
  • 19lb EV6 injectors with EV1 connectors
  • Return-style fuel system
  • Crappy tube-style exhaust manifolds
  • TPS with tethered wire harness similar to but not the same as pre-95 Mustang TPS. But the earlier Mustang TPSs can replace this sensor to use a Mustan EEC
  • Upper & Lower intake has EGR provision
  • Lower intake has undrilled ACT provision
  • Intake Elbow used intake for EGR (pictured)
    However there are some of these elbows that have coolant provisions in them. Notice the one pictured above does not have the provisions. But this one does:
*These are the same heads the 5.0L Cobras had, but I don't believe the Explorer GT40 heads are factory-decked. The Cobras had factory-decked heads that dropped their chamber cc volume from the std GT40's 65cc casting to 60ish cc range. SVT did this to increase the compression ratio of the Cobra motors.

1997-¼
  • GT40p heads
  • Crappy tube-style exhaust manifolds
  • TPS with tethered wire harness similar to but not the same as pre-95 Mustang TPS. But the earlier Mustang TPSs can replace this sensor to use a Mustan EEC
  • Upper & Lower intake has EGR provision although not used
  • Lower intake has undrilled ACT provision
  • Intake Elbow uses tube from exhaust manifold to deliver EGR (pictured)
  • GT40p
  • Cast Iron Exhaust Manifolds (not 100% sure on this one)
  • TPS with tethered wire harness similar to but not the same as pre-95 Mustang TPS (not 100% sure on this one either)
  • I've seen Explorer intakes on eBay that claim to be 1998 and have the EGR provisions casted into the upper and lower intakes
  • Not sure about ACT provision in the lower intake
1999-2001
  • GT40p
  • 17lb EV6 injectors
  • Returnless fuel system which affects fuel rails and fuel pump
  • Cast Iron exhaust manifolds
  • TPS with connector made into TPS housing. TB design changed so you can't swap this TPS out for the earlier style
I can't remember the other details that changed between 99-01 but I'm sure there were some things that changed

If I've gotten something wrong or left some details out, I can go back and edit this post.
Last edited by cgrey8 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 7 times in total.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Chris,

For the 2000 motor you point out the TPS cannot be changed out for the earlier style. However it has the same specs as the 89-93 Mustangs as best as I can tell. I'm using a 92 Stang EEC and 2000 explorer tps and it works fine. I get the same voltage across it as my red truck does using an actual mustang tps.

From my notes: 98-01 is the better 4r70w and has two extra wires over the 94-97

Thanks
Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

You can splice the connector to make it work, I agree. I believe you did that for the blue truck.
Pin layout of 2000 Explorer TPS?

But the TB itself is redesigned such that you can't put an 89-93 TPS on there...or at least that's what I thought based on this thread:
Mustang vs Explorer TPS

Or am I missing something?

You do bring up a good point about the better 4r70w trannys in the later years. I'd forgotten that detail. Were there any details as to which years, makes, models were available in AWD vs Automatic 4wd?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

cgrey8 wrote:Were there any details as to which years, makes, models were available in AWD vs Automatic 4wd?
As I recall the 302 v8 was never offered with a 4x4 option in the Explorer. It was either 2x4 or AWD.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

It's odd that they made that distinction between V6 & V8 since the 4.0L OHC was rated the same HP. I don't know about torque rating...I'd imagine the V8 would have a higher torque rating at a lower RPM.

But from what I remember yall talking about the automatic 4wds, they didn't engage smoothly.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

I thought that all the good brand new Explorer motors were gone (they are now). Was on E-Bay and some guy was selling new parts from an 5.0 Explorer, said it was from a new crate motor.

"I found a company called Dhamer Powertrain http://www.dahmerpower.com/ this is a local distributor here in twon that sells motors. they had purchased 60 explorer crate motor when, 'I don't' know but they were compleetly sealed and warehouse stored. I was lucky, they had two left by the time I had found out about them. This motor even comes with a full warranty starting the day I fire er up. I agree it's the best swap avaiable. A buddy of mine in Colorado bought the other one. Get this they sold them to us for $1500.00 each complete."

Dave, little too late again!
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
stranger

Post by stranger »

Dave wrote:I thought that all the good brand new Explorer motors were gone (they are now). Was on E-Bay and some guy was selling new parts from an 5.0 Explorer, said it was from a new crate motor.

"I found a company called Dhamer Powertrain http://www.dahmerpower.com/ this is a local distributor here in twon that sells motors. they had purchased 60 explorer crate motor when, 'I don't' know but they were compleetly sealed and warehouse stored. I was lucky, they had two left by the time I had found out about them. This motor even comes with a full warranty starting the day I fire er up. I agree it's the best swap avaiable. A buddy of mine in Colorado bought the other one. Get this they sold them to us for $1500.00 each complete."

Dave, little too late again!
more new ex motors
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread ... 957&page=2
2000 trailhead,400 hp 5.0.still want more,blown,motor,410 going together now.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

As I've been finding/remembering info to either correct or add, I've been editing my bulleted list above.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Have confermed what STranger had said about the '05' Ranger not having the PAT's. Picked a '05' 2x4 last month, had a hardware store key made and the truck starts. runs and moves. No blinking LED on dash made me think about not having PAT's. CPU looks like the same pins as the Explorers.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
pdmustgt2

Post by pdmustgt2 »

True GT-40 heads that came out in 1992 from Ford motorsports was stainless valves, better ports, high nickle content. The 93-94 cobra heads were not GT-40 heads I got a set of them thinking they was GT-40 heads they have F3ZE number they was a style of the GT-40 head but they are not GT-40 head. The Ford motorsports GT-40 head was made by World product have gt40 casted in them and have GT casted on the corners the 93-94 cobra head was casted by Ford. I have a set of GT-40 heads that I got in 1993 for my cobraII.

GT-40P head they raised the exhaust port and changed the angle of the spark plug. This is also the same GT-40P head they sold through Ford motorsports too. The iron head not the alum GT-40P head
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Looking on eBay, I found someone selling a 96 Explorer elbow and noticed that his elbow showed coolant line provisions that mine doesn't have. So I got the picture off the auction and posted it into my comments above. Since this thread is all about the differences in the Explorer engines from 96-2001, I thought this was an interesting find.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Re: Subtle differences in the V8 Explorer over the years

Post by Dave »

Ran across another thing that might be a difference. Someone on TRS said that in '99' they dropped the oil cooler. This made me go out in the garage. Thought one of the spares I have stached away was a '99' cause it had the six wire plug for the MAF. Looked around for the fuel rails and remembered I sold them to Grumpy and they were supply and return, makes it a '98'. Looked again and it has three wires to the cam postion sensor, again makes it a '98', also has the oiil cooler. Double checked and it does have the six wires to the MAF. Kind of hard to confuse that connector with any other. Wiring manual shows it should be four for a '98' and six for a '99'. Do I have a bastard or Ford changed in late year and I was "lucky" to get one.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed