Motor mounts, springs

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

JAMMAN
SM: No

Motor mounts, springs

Post by JAMMAN »

Pulled the 4 cyl. on my 2000 in prep for the 5.0.

Looks like removing the motor mounts are a trick, might involve spring removal? Tips please.

AND if so, since it was a 4 cyl and I'm moving to an 8... and will have the springs off... what do I do to retain the original ride height? Should I switch springs out with a 4.0 6 cyl or put a small lift spacer in?

Do you know what the weight difference is between the 2.5 4 cyl and the 5.0 mountaineer motor?
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: Motor mounts, springs

Post by cgrey8 »

I'm not as familiar with the 98-up Ranger engine bay so I can't help with the mount issue.

But you mention changing springs. Don't bother. I fell into that line of thinking and I regret it. I researched what the strongest Ranger spring was, which turned out to be 97 Ranger Supercab V6 2wd springs. They were a drop-in replacement for my stock 89 Ranger springs, but they are too stiff. I lost ride quality due to that decision and if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have. So resist the desire to do that and wait to see if you need stronger springs. If you do, then do it. Don't just assume you need them and swap them because its convenient. As for what the weight difference is, IIRC, the difference isn't that much. I think a 5.0L with aluminum heads is only 100lbs heavier than a 4-cyl. With cast iron heads, a bit more. But I still wouldn't just assume you need new springs.

Of course if someone that's actually done a swap closer to what you are doing says you will need stronger springs, then perhaps you should ignore my advise and at the very least put the V6 version of your Ranger year's springs in.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
JAMMAN

Re: Motor mounts, springs

Post by JAMMAN »

Convenience does drive humans to do not so smart things... often. Thanks again-