Any chance in a blue moon this would work

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

JAMMAN
SM: No

Any chance in a blue moon this would work

Post by JAMMAN »

They are short, seems like if it would work someone would already know. They are so cheap I'm considering getting a set just in the hopes they might clear everything.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351717413521?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: Any chance in a blue moon this would work

Post by cgrey8 »

The passenger side would drop right down onto the frame. Driver's side might too. You really need something that exits to the back. And even then, you'll have to notch the frame. But at least it's doable with rear-exiting headers.

This also assumes you don't have GT40p (Explorer) heads with the altered plug angle.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
JAMMAN

Post by JAMMAN »

My mountaineer was made in february of 97 and they look like regular GT40 heads to me. Plugs angle toward the front on one head and toward the back on the other. All the pics I could find of GT40 VS P heads the P heads looked like the plugs stuck straight out on both sides, please correct me if I am wrong. The motor is too crammed and dirty to see the casting marks.

Everyone wants a cheap solution LOL. Looks like there is a definite market for 5.0 headers that will fit P or non P heads in a ranger judging by the price the torque monsters were bringing and the lack of availability of other solutions.

Thank you again for your answers. I get the urge to start bending tubes.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Yeah, sounds like you have GT40 heads based on your description of plug angle. The GT40p plugs to have an angle, but you are right, they are much more straight out compared to traditional Windsor heads.

There are very few Ranger-friendly GT40p headers out there. The Torque Monsters, FMS Explorer headers (no longer made and hard to find now), and MAC Mustang GT40p headers (which are not a perfect fit but I've heard will work). So most people doing a GT40p swap now just go with the stock Ford cast headers for Explorers. I think they started using those in 98 or 99? The cast iron manifolds are still better than the POS tube manifolds that came on the 96-97 5.0Ls.

But being it sounds like you have GT40 heads, I'd say look at the L&L Ranger swap headers. They aren't nearly as pricey as Torque Monster, but they are still an excellent header and work with Rangers without notching frames.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org