Building my first one

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

JAMMAN
SM: No

Building my first one

Post by JAMMAN »

Hi,
Took me forever to post it looks like there are some serious players here, I probably will never take my ranger to the drag strip or race it at all except an occasional between red lights showing off.

I have been wanting to create a V8 ranger since I knew rangers existed. I bought 2 while I lived in SC and didn't complete either for various reasons.

A few weeks ago I picked up a green 2000 SCSB 2wd that originally had a 2.5 but it was already blown and disassembled partially. Trailered it to my work.

Picking up a 97 mountaineer soon (deal made) and will start the process.

If I like it as well as I think I will I'm going to follow it up with a 4WD version to replace my Ram 1500 for winter fun.

Just happy to be here, I made a mistake on my original registration so it took a lot longer than normal.

Jim
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: Building my first one

Post by cgrey8 »

Based on your avatar, will you be supercharging it or just running the stock 97 Explorer as-is?

The difficulty of getting a V8 under the hood isn't where the complication is. Sure there are issues and things to know. But for the most part, you just do what has to be done to get it in there. The problems will be in things like trying to match up at digital dash (i.e. a speedo that doesn't use a cable) to a transmission that expects one. None of the issues are show-stoppers. But they will bite into the budget deeper than you might originally plan for.

It'll be interesting to know how easily the Explorer engine goes into a 2000. I know very little about the 98-up Rangers to know what complexities they bring to the table. I do know at some point, Rangers ditched the steering box for a rack-n-pinion which is supposed to alleviate the need for the 90 degree oil filter relocation adapter. But I don't know if they stuck something else where the steering box used to be or if you can run with the Explorer stock elbow adapter.

I do know you'll probably want to upgrade the exhaust manifolds to 99-01 Explorer V8 cast iron manifolds so you can ditch the POS tube ones Ford stuck on the 96-97 Explorer 5.0Ls. However going straight to headers will be challenging being the 97 Explorer 5.0L has GT40p heads which don't work with standard 5.0L headers.

As for the fun of a V8 Ranger, I can't say enough about it. Mine is a daily driver and has been far more enjoyable than a new vehicle for the same amount of money I've sunk into it would've been. And of course, there's the added benefit of really cheap taxes and the tires are affordable. I've had thoughts of putting upgraded rims on it since I got the truck started. But that's somehow just never happened. The stock tires do good enough for a daily driver. And since I don't race it, there's no burning need. That and stock Ranger tires for 14" rims can be gotten mounted and balanced for ~$350. If I upgraded to 15" and went as wide as I was looking at going (255/55R15 I believe), there was only one mfg that made that size and they discontinued it! So I just decided to stick with my stock size which I know fits and as long as I get a decent brand actually gives decent traction. For years, I bought the cheapest tire I could find which was usually from Walmart TLE. This past set, I decided to actually get something name brand. So I got some Hankooks and they make a world of difference. Both dry and wet conditions are improved. My 97 Ranger still has some old Walmart tires on it (Uniroyal Liberators I believe) and when the road gets wet, you better not be anywhere near the car in front if they need to put on brakes hard. I'm dumbfounded as to how they are legal to sell.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
JAMMAN

Post by JAMMAN »

Awesome thanks for the welcome.

My avatar is probably my greatest work related accomplishment, I'm a CNC programmer and that's a turbo impeller I made on a 5 axis cnc mill.

I thought the 97 was just a plain GT40 since it is an early 97 but I guess the only way to tell is look at them. I'll take your advise on the manifolds.

I can kludge through the electrical, fuel pressure and other common differences but I'm really worried about the tranny. I either have to buy one that interfaces with the electronics and is for a 2 wheel drive or replace the tailshaft and housing on my existing mountaineer 4wd tranny. I'll make up my mind when I pull the V8 but since the tranny is good I might just keep it for the next ranger which will be a 4wd.

I'm real lucky to have a driveshaft place near to me that will create just about anything you ask for and like half the price of other places I have heard of. They replaced the u-joints on a honda crv "propeller shaft" I owned that nobody else would touch.

I can't wait I'll be heading in to it about second week of next month.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

There was an early run of 97 Explorer 5.0Ls that did have the GT40 and was pretty much the same exact engine as the 96. But somewhere mid 97 run, they made some major changes to the engine with the biggest being the GT40p head change. From what I understand, the change was necessary to meet emissions standards.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
JAMMAN

Post by JAMMAN »

We will know soon :) Well a couple weeks anyway.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

When you get the engine, just look at the head markings.
3 bars is GT40
4 bars is GT40p

For your sake, it's probably best that it be GT40 heads so you can use std headers.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
JAMMAN

Post by JAMMAN »

Yes fingers crossed, I hear the GT40 heads have tougher springs too. The door tag on the MT says feb of 07 hope it is early enough. For what I'm using it for I wouldn't notice the difference in the P heads. Man I can't wait to get it all going. At the rate of time I have It will probably take till late august to finish it.
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

welcome JAMMAN, this site use to be happening but has slowed down a lot in the last couple years. There is still a few of us hanging around though. cgrey8 will be your man when it comes to the electronics, that cat is on it when it comes to that stuff. I'm and old man carb guy but I can still help with the mechanical stuff. You will love it when you are done, they are just fun to drive. Again welcome and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

by the way JAMMAN what area are you from??
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
JAMMAN

Post by JAMMAN »

OK I filled out the location area couldn't find it on the original run in with the UCP.

Forums on specific subjects usually do very well, I'm amazed this one isn't hopping. V8 rangers are definitely in the "cool" area IMO.