Aod yoke, 1 piece driveshaft,u joint?

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

painterdude923

Aod yoke, 1 piece driveshaft,u joint?

Post by painterdude923 »

Does anyone know what u joint I need to install my AOD yoke on my driveshaft to go in my 97 ranger? I picked up a u joint for a 97 ranger 4.0, installed it in the AOD yoke and there seems to be way to much side to side play. I think it needs to be wider for the yoke! Any help would be much appreciated!
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: Aod yoke, 1 piece driveshaft,u joint?

Post by cgrey8 »

At one point, I could've told you but I've forgotten.

I remember the stock yoke in my original V6's (Mazda) 5 speed transmission fit my T5 so I reused it and have had no issues. I believe the yoke used a 1310 U-joint.

But for some reason I have this nagging recall that the AOD used a different yoke. So I did some google-searching and found a post from Tom Moss of T-Moss Porting. Here's what he said:
tmoss wrote:The yokes on the auto shafts and the T5 shafts are/can be different. The auto yoke is larger and has a "collar" on the yoke that the T5 yokes do not. If you try to put an auto shaft into a T5, it will fit the spline OK, but the OD will hit the T5 tail shaft and not go in. Ask me how I know..........
While that isn't exactly what you were asking, it does at least lead me to believe that your yoke probably does accept a 1310 just like a typical T5 yoke does. I know that doesn't clear things up, but hopefully it gives you some info to start with.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
painterdude923

Post by painterdude923 »

Yeah i got ig figured out. The 1 piece driveshaft is from a much newer ranger and it and the AOD yoke use a 1330 not the 1310 that was on my stock 97. Now onto bigger better things like gas tank,sending unit,lines, hooking up my electric fuel pump for my carburetor ect......
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Post by cgrey8 »

Interestingly, I too used a shaft from a newer Ranger which uses 1330. But my yoke is 1310, so I have to use a cross-joint.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
painterdude923

Post by painterdude923 »

Different subject. I'm putting 302 with AOD in and going to be carbureted. Any suggestions on fuel pressure regulator so I keep fuel pump and sending unit?