5 Speed Transmission Question

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

stangmanbob

5 Speed Transmission Question

Post by stangmanbob »

Has anyone successfully installed a TKO500 or TKO600 5 speed transmission in a 97 and below 2WD V8 Ranger without cutting up the tunnel? If so please add photos and any kind of parts list.
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: 5 Speed Transmission Question

Post by cgrey8 »

I'm trying to think of anybody I know on here that has. But nobody comes to mind.

I know Malcolm and I both, at one time, wanted to install T56 6-speeds in a Ranger, but neither of us ever did. I just couldn't justify the cost when my T5z has been working so well and my fuel economy isn't that bad. If I raced the truck, that'd be different. But I don't. It's a daily driver.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I just did some google-searching and it appears some guy did do a TKO in an 89 Ranger, but the looks of the videos he has posted, there was A LOT of mods done, so there's no telling what all custom mods he did specific to the TKO.

Continuing my google-searching about the TKO, it seems that modification of trans tunnels is a common requirement to run the TKO in most any vehicle where the T5 is being upgraded from. My guess is to avoid that, you'll need to do a 1-1.5" or so body lift to avoid the tunnel mods.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

To avoid fitment problems, might want to look into a modified T-5 by Astro Performance or a G Force unit.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
stangmanbob

Post by stangmanbob »

Thanks guys for the help, keep me in mind if something should come up. My truck is an 88 with a 347 motor and a T5Z and I have been street stripping it lately. I don't want to break a perfectly good trans so I figured a swap would be in order, I just can't bring myself to putting an automatic in it. I'll have to see what Astro & G-Force has to offer.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

The T5 Z-spec is rated for 330ft-lbs and 100kmiles. I think the Astro kits increase the torque tolerance to something like 500ft-lbs (pretty much the limit of the case). However I don't believe they offer an expected mileage durability rating.

With either, just don't expect the tranny to be quiet like it came out of a Ford factory. Since Day 1, my T5 Z-spec from D&D has had slight noise in some gears. It hasn't gotten worse over the years and it's been a great transmission, but it just isn't "stock quiet." I also have to admit, I don't drive the truck hard. It's driven like a daily driver. It gets WOTed on occasion, but most of the time, it's just putting me to work, around town to do chores, and back home. No track time. So for my needs, the Astro kit is way overkill and possibly could've been a detriment since I needed the mileage durability far more than the torque tolerance.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org