9 inch for ranger

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

faststang90
SM: No

9 inch for ranger

Post by faststang90 »

I have been trying to do a 9 inch for a 1994 ford ranger and I have not found one place that has already made one that knows all the measurements. does any one know of a bolt in housing that I can just buy and bolt in.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: 9 inch for ranger

Post by cgrey8 »

I don't think any 9" is going to be a bolt-in solution.

If you are looking for a stout bolt-in rear, an 8.8" from a 93-up Ranger is going to be your only option. Just make sure you also get all parking brake cables, lines, driveshaft mount (7.5" and 8.8" companion flange are different size), and if equipped, the shackles & bolts for the anti-sway bar.

Even an 8.8" from an Explorer is going to have modification requirements for brake lines, parking brake cables, spring perches, and shock mounts...and thus is not a bolt-in solution, but is closer than a 9"...and you get 31 spline axles and rear disc brakes!!!!

Most 9" rears pretty much require all those same mods PLUS having the tubes and axles cut shorter to fit the width of a Ranger. The closest no-cut 9" is probably going to be from a Pinto.

Other than the convenience of the quick-swap pumpkin, is there any real reason you are wanting to go 9" vs just bolting in an 8.8". I know the 9" has a legacy and many fond followers particularly from anybody that was into high performance during the 70s, 80s, and 90s. But the 8.8" has proven itself as a worthy replacement for MANY MANY years since the 9" was retired from production. It's lighter, the gear pattern is a bit more efficient, and the housing is stout enough to be installed behind drag racing BBs (innards upgraded of course). In other words, there's no shame in an 8.8".

If you are just looking for a challenge, the Ford 9.75" is the upgrade of upgrades. But I don't know of a single person that's ever put one in a Ranger. They would require the same treatment as a 9" since they only come in F150s and heavy duty applications. I don't know if they come in the top-tier Mustangs or not. My guess is the GTxxx, Cobras, and Saleens are probably all IRS so they would use the IRS 8.8 differential and CV-joint axles.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
faststang90

Post by faststang90 »

I found a place that says they can do it but they are very far from me but they say they could do it in like 3 days. I found a shop here to do a gear change, a spool, c-clip eliminators. every kit I find says drum brakes and I'm going to go to disc wilwood brakes that's my only problem. I know they sell a kit to do dics brakes because I done it on my mustangs 8.8 before I went to a 9 inch. I just need to find it.
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

There are no 9" Pintos and even then they are too narrow. I do happen to have one that came out of a Pinto but it also had a built 351. Another option is to use the 31 spline center chunk from Mustang/Explorer and have custom axles with the 31 spline and the smaller out board bearing journal, then do the popular Mustang disc brake swap. Do you need the link to the "How to do swap"?
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Yeah I was way out on a limb guessing Pinto. I guess that limb snapped.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
faststang90

Post by faststang90 »

yeah if you have a link on how to do it I would like to see it.
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

How to do the Mustang rear brakes on an 8.8 rear end. http://www.fordrangerforum.com/engine-d ... -rear.html.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
faststang90

Post by faststang90 »

I found a shop to do 9 inch ends, gear, spool, 33 spline axles, brakes for around 2,600. they said it was like a 3-4 week wait on axles.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

It's worth that much money for you to have a 9"?
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
faststang90

Post by faststang90 »

for safety reasons is they only reason why. at first I was told about the same price to build the 8.8 as it was for a 9 inch. so if im going to pay out a lot of money. im going to get the best I can but the 8.8 is cheaper by the time I add in all the shipping and stuff.
faststang90

Post by faststang90 »

pulled the rear end out this morning and dropped it off. I'm having the tubes welded and doing a rear cap. they said around a month till I get it back.