hard starting when warm

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

gorgo
SM: No

hard starting when warm

Post by gorgo »

I switched to carb and when the truck is warmed up it is really hard to start. The only way it will start is to put the gas to the floor and crank till it starts. Is this a timing issue?
600 carb
10d before
Mix is 14.5:1 @ idle
4lbs fuel pressure
93 4X4 Long Box w/ 98 exployer 5.0, aod eld performer 650 carb
72 ford 3/4 4X4 HiBoy big block
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: hard starting when warm

Post by cgrey8 »

I have no experience with this on a carbed setup, but on EFI when this happens, it's an indication that the engine is trying to crank lean. The most common issue is people have updated their injectors but didn't update the cranking injector PW function that dictates how much fuel gets injected based on engine coolant temp.

So as it relates to carb, my guess is it is trying to crank lean. Since carbs have an accelerator pump, I'd try pushing the throttle a few times before trying to crank and see if that makes any difference. If it does, then the carb is trying to crank the engine lean. If it makes things worse, then the carb is likely trying to crank way too rich.

And BTW, when cranking the range of AFR that will crank an engine is VERY wide. An engine will actually crank even if the mix is a tad leaner than stoic but will also turn over and crank on an AFR down to around 10:1. Now once the engine is running under its own power, you can't continue to run it down that rich particularly if the engine is warm. The colder the engine, the more fuel the engine needs on crank (hence the choke). An idle that's too rich will surge, hunt, and stumble. As the engine's pistons and valves warm over the next 20-40 seconds, the AFR needs to lean out closer to stoic. If the engine is hot (i.e. engine's been running, conked out, and needs to be immediately recranked), you should be able to crank very near stoic and immediately begin idle that low. In fact, most Ford EECs will re-enter a conk-recrank condition in Closed Loop once the engine is running again as long as the EEC hasn't been ignition power cycled since crank-enrichment isn't required in that condition.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
plowboy34

Re: hard starting when warm

Post by plowboy34 »

pour a little gas down carb and see if it fires right up or remains the same. If it fires right up I would check float levels.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)