trying to figure out what year to go with

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

smallblockford

trying to figure out what year to go with

Post by smallblockford »

I'm trying to figure out what Ranger I want to start with. Building a street/strip 302 Ranger. My plan is for low 12 seconds, ultimately, but I need to get a truck first.

My favorite is the box style - Grew up in an 87 Ranger - but I hate working on any I beam trucks. Short/long arm front suspension would be ideal, not sure if anyone has bothered fitting them to an early I beam truck. Not much of the front suspension will remain stock. Would like to avoid torsion bars.

I'd like a truck with a steering rack if possible, but not required.

Going to be a two wheel drive regular cab, not that it really matters.

Were all of the box style Rangers I beams?
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: trying to figure out what year to go with

Post by cgrey8 »

As far as I know, all Rangers were I-beam up until 97. Torsion bars/coil spring front suspensions and rack-n-pinion got introduced in 98.

What I don't recall is what dictated the difference between torsion and coil springs. I don't remember if that was a 2wd vs 4wd thing or if one was an "upgrade" to the other.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

All '98'+ 4x4's were torsion bar suspension. Some 4x2's could be had with torsion also depending on model, Trailheads and Sports. All other 4x2's got the coil suspension. One of the limiting factors in the later Rangers is the lack of header options unless custom over the frame versions.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
smallblockford

Post by smallblockford »

cgrey8 wrote:As far as I know, all Rangers were I-beam up until 97. Torsion bars/coil spring front suspensions and rack-n-pinion got introduced in 98.

What I don't recall is what dictated the difference between torsion and coil springs. I don't remember if that was a 2wd vs 4wd thing or if one was an "upgrade" to the other.

Well with 4x4 there would be no room for coils in the front, so they needed to go to torsion bars. Some 4x2s do have torsion bars.
smallblockford

Post by smallblockford »

Dave wrote:All '98'+ 4x4's were torsion bar suspension. Some 4x2's could be had with torsion also depending on model, Trailheads and Sports. All other 4x2's got the coil suspension. One of the limiting factors in the later Rangers is the lack of header options unless custom over the frame versions.
Dave

So there are readymade headers for earlier Rangers with a 5.0 swap? What years are we talking here?

I can make headers but it's a lot easier if I don't have to.
smallblockford

Post by smallblockford »

also - Does anyone make any bolt-on rear suspension parts? Traction bars and the like.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

As long as you don't have GT40p heads with the altered plug angles, there are a few different early-model Ranger headers out there. The most popular are L&L headers. James Duff also has a V8 Ranger swap header, and there's probably another one or two out there I don't remember.

Another option is to go with Mustang headers and simply cut the passenger side frame where necessary to get the exhaust pipe to clear and mount to the header. That's been done time and time again without any problems.

I also believe the old Tri-Y headers work well for Ranger swaps unless you have an automatic. There seems to be some interference potential with them, but not everybody reports that.

For the GT40p headers, about your only options at this juncture are the stock Explorer exhaust manifolds, MAC GT40p headers, and Torque Monster headers. But you shouldn't have to worry about that if you are planning on aftermarket heads.

And for suspension parts, the only ones I know of that are specific to Rangers are James Duff Traction Bars. I've got them on my truck and they work well. I'm sure other solutions would work equally as well, but I can honestly say the James Duff bars are worth the money. Although I've read others here on the forum that found the cheap Lakewood bars useful too...and I believe they are cheaper than James Duff bars.

I also have some of their urathane suspension bushings to replace the stock rubber ones...but that's on my I-beam suspension's radial arms. I don't know what their offerings are for dual wishbone or torsion bars.

I also run a rear stabilizer bar. Rangers came stock with a rear bar option. My truck didn't have that option, but did have the holes drilled in the frame for the option. So when I bought an 8.8" rearend to replace my 7.5", I got the donor truck's traction bar and mounting hardware along with it and bolted it right in no problem. There are aftermarket stabilizer bars that are stiffer for both front and rear. I've considered them, but I don't do any kind of racing or trick-driving in my truck, so I just never have been able to justify them (they aren't cheap).

Don't forget, Ford rears came in open diffy as well as limited slip. If you have an open, you might seriously want to consider swapping the rear for an LS, even if the rear in your Ranger is an 8.8.

Also if you are going for "looks", the Explorer rears have disc brakes instead of drums. Lots of people do the Explorer rear swap just to get the discs. Just keep in mind the Explorer rearends are wider than Ranger rears AND the parking brake cabling is different so you'll have to come up with a way to combine the Ranger foot-cable with the Explorer rearend's cabling system. Another benefit of the Explorer rears are the axles are 31 spline vs Ranger rearends all being 28 spline. If you aren't planning to drag race it, that's hardly a compelling detail, but if you do plan on BIG HP with wide tires and you plan on driving it aggressive A LOT, then 31 spline axles might be something worth considering.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
smallblockford

Post by smallblockford »

No worries, it will be getting a spool :D

Thanks for all of the help and info! I might change my mind and keep it a track only truck. I'd save money on exhaust tubing since I could flip the headers and put stacks coming out the hood!

You're still running the I beams, eh? The only time I really deal with them is on old rustbuckets at work, I think if everything were in good shape I wouldn't hate them nearly as much.

There's not much tougher than an I beam, either. Any tire wear issues?

Are your rear springs stock?
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

You can change your stock 8.8 Ranger rear end to run the stronger 31 spline axles with the right carrier and Mosler axles and do the Mustang disc brake conversion if wanted. I myself think rear disc in a truck is not needed. Quite a few running the V-8 have no problem with the rear springs, all depends on which spring rate and tires. So many options depends on what year truck you settle on.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I didn't think most people swap to disc for the braking performance???? I've always associated it with getting the "prettier" discs so they can run more open rims instead of thicker, more solid truck rims that will hide the drum. I do like the Mustang rear disc upgrade idea.

What Rangers could really use an upgrade on is the fronts. I've always thought the front brakes were a bit thin and suffered from brake fade when traveling at high speed and having to come to a sudden stop. Upgrading to Mustang, or better yet, Cobra style calipers and rotors is a true performance upgrade.

As for the 31 spline upgrade to the Ranger rear, I'm not sure it's worth the cost. After you get a new aftermarket carrier and axles, you are most likely in deeper than a used Explorer rear would've set you back. Although you do avoid the fitment issues associated with an Explorer rear swap.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Chris, a lot do go with the rear Mustang brakes for the increased "performance", not looks. I don't buy into cost effective increase of braking. A good set of drum brakes work pretty good from my experience. The earlier Rangers use the same shoes as what some of the 60's performance Fords used and can be had in semi-metallic, great stopping with them.
Pre '98' Rangers can go with the 13" Mustang front disc brakes if you contact the right person who makes the kits.
Again, lot of people go with the 31 spline knowing that they are 20% stronger but do they really need them? I can see needed them with huge tires and a stiff geared rear end as in off road use. Lots of built Mustangs have run the 28 spline for years without any problems.
The guy doing the 31 spline axles into his Ranger is going way beyond what most people would build their truck to. Ground up restore of a 2000 using the best he can find, truly a beautiful build. Have to add a link to his build.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed