DIY EEC tuning, really???

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Chris
SM: No

DIY EEC tuning, really???

Post by Chris »

I'm finally at the point of my build where it's time for a custom computer tune. My original plan was to have a local shop write me a "starter tune" just to get the truck running. I was then going to bring it to them so they could live tune it on the dyno. Lately I've been reading alot about tuning over on eectuning.org. I'm starting to rethink my plan, now thinking I might like to try my hand at this computer stuff. I'm an old school carb and points man, I can tune a carb or curve a points distributor in my sleep. This is my first EFI project and there's just something intimidating about that stupid little "magic box." So here's my question, is this something that is really possible for an old school guy like me to learn? Is it really that difficult, or am I better off leaving it to the professionals?
1990 Ranger 302- E303 cam, Comp Gold RR, GT40 Intake, MSD 6AL, Hooker SuperComp long tubes; 4R70W- shift kit, other internal mods; 8.8" 3.73 Posi-Trac, 31 spline axles.

Early production 1965 Coupe- June 16, 1964, Guardsman Blue, D code 289 4V, T-10 4 Speed-- All original.

1965 Coupe, A code 289, T10 4 Speed, Originally Rangoon Red...Will be again someday-- currently undergoing restoration.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: DIY EEC tuning, really???

Post by cgrey8 »

If you've been reading anything at EECTuning.org, I hope you read over the FAQ about what to know BEFORE buying a TwEECer or Quarterhorse. Since I wrote that article, I can't add much to it without some specific questions. But bottom line is it isn't rocket science, but when you are learning about DIY tuning, it sure feels that way and will feel that way for a while until you get comfortable with what tuning options and adjustments there are and when to use them. For me, the vast majority of learning it was just diving in and tinkering. Play with some setting and see how it affects things. The good news is DIY tuning has matured a lot in the past 5 years for the Ford EECs so becoming a DIY tuner now as opposed to back when I joined the game is a lot better. It still isn't without its headaches...anything worth doing isn't usually easy or you'd already be doing it.

The main question you have to ask yourself is how much are you willing to learn and invest (in time & money)? And by learn and invest, I mean pay for, tinker, screw up, flail, and ask questions on forums until you figure it out. If you are the kind of person that enjoys driving cars, not tinkering with them, then DIY tuning is NOT for you. But if you enjoy the "tinker" aspect, then there'll be plenty to tinker with.

The one thing also need to realize is you do not want to go into DIY tuning as a means of saving some money at the tune shop. DIY tuning is not about saving money. The amount of time you spend learning and tinkering will dwarf the amount of money you spend at a tune shop. It's about being in control of your engine, diagnosing & solving problems yourself, and of course, being apart of an online group discussing and talking about tuning topics similar to the guys on this forum that talk and discuss V8 Ranger conversions.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Chris

Post by Chris »

I have read that article as well as others. One question I have, I will be using SCT(already purchased an Xcal unit) on OBD-II PCM. I've noticed that most people are using an EEC-IV PCM with the A9L being the most common. What is the main difference between tuning EEC-IV and OBD-II?

As I said earlier, this is my first EFI project. I've learned so much already I think I'd take great satisfaction in doing the tune my self. I just wanted to hear that it's not as complicated as I'm making it out to be.
1990 Ranger 302- E303 cam, Comp Gold RR, GT40 Intake, MSD 6AL, Hooker SuperComp long tubes; 4R70W- shift kit, other internal mods; 8.8" 3.73 Posi-Trac, 31 spline axles.

Early production 1965 Coupe- June 16, 1964, Guardsman Blue, D code 289 4V, T-10 4 Speed-- All original.

1965 Coupe, A code 289, T10 4 Speed, Originally Rangoon Red...Will be again someday-- currently undergoing restoration.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Since I'm not a tuner of those products, I can't say anything about them or their capabilities. That's an excellent question for the guys over on EECTuning that know more about the SCT and Xcal stuff than I do.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Chris

Post by Chris »

Thanks for your help, I'm going to continue reading over there may even join if I have a few question that I don't find answers to. I just think it's fascinating that you can sit in the passenger seat and adjust things that use to require actual tools. I guess I'll continue to be intimidated by it until I buy the software and start playing around.

cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

My personal recommendation is to use BinaryEditor and the Moates Quarterhorse along with a def file that works for your EEC. Talk to Adam (POPSRACING) about a def file. And if you use BE, you also get the ability to use EEC Analyzer and much better support than you'll ever get from SCT.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Chris

Post by Chris »

The main reason for using SCT because I was given the working and unlocked X2 device for free. I was unaware that Quarterhorse was compatible with OBD-II. Looks like I have more research and more thinking to do...

Chris

Post by Chris »

Well, after 4 years of playing with SCT I've gotta say, y'all were right. I'm not at all satisfied. I just ordered the Quarterhorse and BE with EECanalyzer. Just got tired of having to reflash every time I want to make the slightest change. I even started keeping a note pad in the truck with me so I could jot down specific changes to avoid having to do one change at a time.

Oh well. Lesson learned...

cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

We all have things like that. When budgets are tight or money is already spent, it's difficult to switch gears spending even more money...at least until you work with what you have and come to the conclusion that it just isn't working for you. I did the same thing with avoiding buying a Wideband O2 sensor. I tuned for probably a year before I finally broke down and got one. Once I got it, I realized why people were telling me I was doing things the hard way. Boy were they right.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Chris

Post by Chris »

Well, the hardest thing is when it comes to datalogging. I'm no longer at the Ford dealership so I no longer have access to the Ford scantool. I've been using my Innovate wideband controller for datalogging, which works ok at best. Trouble is you can only view a few parameters at a time. Then I have to shut everything off to make changes, which induces other operating conditions due to the hot soak. Just makes things too difficult. I'm excited to see what the QH and EA can do for me. Though it'll be a while before I can play with it since I'm away for work at the moment.

cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

The features of BE and the QH will be immediate. The ability to datalog FAR more things at a time and datalog the Wideband's data along-side the QH data so you can see when things in the tune affect the exhaust-measured AFR. You will need to shift up the WB values a few milliseconds (100-150ms) since there is a delay between when the EEC commands values and the WB senses it. EA has the ability to do this shift for you in the filter section. Use it.

The catch with EA is it will lead you to believe it knows more than you about how to make changes. Don't make that mistake. EA is a tool, not a replacement for the human. The 2 main tools that use the datalogging are the MAF and Injector Slope calculators. I also use EA to display my datalogs in a tabular form or to plot the data into maps. But the only "calculator" functionality is the min/max/averaging options. The mapping is just a way to display the datalog in a more useful form. Eventually, you'll use that more than anything else.

BE also has a new feature that came out after I got used to viewing my tuning in a different way. It's a real-time trendlog. It allows you to display a few datalog items and instead of seeing an instantaneous value on a dashboard, you see a trendmap of the values over time. For example, if you datalog RPM and MPH, you can see your MPH increase, but the RPMs will go up, then dip, go up again, and dip, which would be the gear-shifts. I can see how that's a very useful feature particularly when you are driving along, a hiccup happens, but by then, you missed what happened. The trendlog would likely show you what happened, if you were datalogging the right things to illustrate what happened. The problem I had with the trendlog is you can't log more than 3-4 things or the lines on the log just get too busy and not useful. Here's what my BE dashboard looks like:
A screenshot of my dashboard in BE.
A screenshot of my dashboard in BE.
I prefer the dashboard view which shows 20-25 datalog items at a time. BE allows you to customize the dashboard to your taste. So as you see the dashboard here is not the default. I have my dashboard file saved and I'll gladly share it, but the forum board settings won't let me attach *.dsh file extensions.

If you decide you don't like trying to setup your dashboard, you can start with mine. Just ask for it over on the EECTuning.org site and I'll upload it to your thread there. I have *.dsh files allowed to be uploaded there since they are known files people like to share for EEC tuning using BinaryEditor.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Chris

Post by Chris »

Your description of BE's Trendmap sounds much like Ford's IDS Scantool that I'm accustomed to. This could be very helpful.

I'll play around with the dashboard view to see if I can get something I like. If not, I'll let you know. Thanks.